Saturday, December 22, 2012

My first corduroys are done!

18 hours after cutting....they are done!
 J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Side:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Back:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Sassy:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
The full view back:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Side:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Front:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
All buttoned up:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Back with two belt loops at CB:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Closeup of pocket:
J Stern Designs corduroys done!
Inside.  The button is from deep button stash, probably purchased at Cloth World's clearance bin when I was a teenager.  The card said the button was made in Italy.  It also says it's green.  Hrm.  It looks like a copper color to me! 
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
Inside with flat felled yoke seam, and my name hand embroidered in the back, with the date.:
J Stern Designs corduroys done
This time I topstitched the inseam with my edgestitching foot:
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans done!
The hem. I used this technique from the Seasoned Homemaker this time, it worked very well!  
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans!
I heart tailor's chalk.  Here is how I marked it for sewing on the beltloops.  This time I cut six 3.5inch loops out of the strip instead of the suggested five 4" loops.  That way I could sew two loops, one on each side of the CB seam.  That was a lot easier than fighting my machine to stitch through who knows how many layers!

I also serged the cut ends of the belt loops and used fray check on them. 
J Stern Designs corduroy jeans!

Improvements over my jeans:
  • Sewed thighs with 1/4" SA, resulting in 1" additional space all around the thigh.  This is much more comfortable for sitting!
  • Before sewing on waistband, I sewed the very top of the jeans with a wider seam allowance.  The result is it looks like I won't have to wear a belt with these!  (Whereas I have to wear a belt with the jeans).
  • Topstitched the inseam.  Remember to do that before sewing the side seams!
  • I made fake bar tacks on the fly front.  My machine does not have an auto-bartack maker, so I used a narrow zigzag stitch with a very short stitch length to mimic a bartack.
  • Embroidered the date with my name in the waistband facing.  Maybe I will start doing that for all my clothes? Hrm.
I'm wearing these cords right now and they feel great.  The fabric is super nice.  It feels luxurious and the fact that it's no-wale corduroy means it looks like velveteen.

I still can't get over the fact I have made two pairs of pants with fly fronts.  Last year at this time, the idea was scaring me quite a lot!
J Stern Designs jeans and corduroys, done!
Be well!!!

17 comments:

  1. You are a pants-sewing wizard! Merry Christmas from North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With each pair you make, you'll improve technique. My most favorite and worn pairs of jeans are the 7th and 8th pairs made. I'll have to try corduroy, though I may have too much chub rub for them to last! Great job, K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking pair of corduroy pants-everything looks amazing! Merry Christmas from another North Carolinian!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job! they look great -
    also, it's so cool to embroider the month and year in the back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you!!!! Just how far you have gone in just one year - love the pants, colour of corduroy looks beautiful.
    Merry Christmas from Down Under...J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look totally professional. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See what happens when you face your fear? I'm happy for you to have made 2 fabulous pair of jeans. What next--velveteen, perhaps? Colored jeans? Happy a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous!! You do fine work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful, you're on a roll! I just love the colour, so perfect for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sewing skills are taking off! The improvements you have made are fantastic!
    The corduroys look beautiful and are beautifully finished! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so staggeringly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! They look fantastic! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME!!! I know exactly what you mean about fly fronts!! When I made my son's pants it was my least favorite part. It looks like you did super well with yours. Both of those pair of pants are gorgeous, and I hope you are as proud that you made them as I am seeing them!!

    ReplyDelete

  14. Hi nice Post written by you guys. It is amazing and
    wonderful to visit your site. Thank a ton for such a nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.