Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Can this soup be rescued?

20141126_173236
So today I cooked up Thanksgiving dinner to take with me to Dad's tmw.  This is my first time making TG dinner, so I went with something I know well as the main dish--chicken noodle soup.  I have made this soup MANY times for myself with delicious results.  So I had it for dinner tonight but it is causing me really bad indigestion, WHY?    I didn't use many onions--could the celery be causing it?  I did use more celery than usual--but I also used more pasta than usual too.  Also I used white onion instead of my usual Spanish onion, would that make a difference?   This meal is what I'm taking with me to Dad's house tmw, I don't want my first meal cooked for TG to be ruined by indigestion and for him to tell all his friends/family how terrible my meal was.  Should I dilute the soup with a cup of water?  Two cups of water?  Remove as much of the celery as I can?  Can this soup be rescued??? I don't want to serve it but I don't have any thing else as the main entree--I made the cranberry sauce from scratch and I mashed up some yams with butter and I made the Libby's pumpkin pie, and I was planning on boiling some asparagus tmw morning and getting a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.   Do I wake up early tmw, skip the gym, and make it all over again with minimal onions and celery?  Was Thanksgiving designed to cause women tons of stress?    I kind of think so?   How can this soup be a wadder?  I told Dad about the soup and he suggested having Progresso chicken noodle soup in a can.  We are not having soup in a can for TG dinner, I am not letting that happen.

Please help!!!  And Happy Thanksgiving?

Update: maybe it was the cranberry sauce?  as per this?

9 comments:

  1. Aww! I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. I can't imagine what is causing the problem. I don't think celery would do it, but try reducing the onions. I hope you and your dad have a nice holiday together! How sweet he is to suggest Progresso. Sounds like he just wants to spend time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sweat the small stuff. Toss the soup if u r sure it's what caused your indigestion, and get a roasted chicken from the store. Its not the food that makes TG. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle, could it be the cranberries giving you indigestion? If you are sure it is the soup, you can perhaps add some pre-cooked diced potato and remove some pasta, and add some cream or half-n-half to make it cream of chicken soup. The potato & cream may act as a buffer to whatever is bothering your tummy. Or, go easy on yourself and grab some rotisserie chicken and kings Hawaiian rolls at the grocery tomorrow! Don't stress it! Besides, in my book, the cranberry is the star of the show. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What they said. =) Don't worry about it. Enjoy the day with pops. Happy thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your question--I'm convinced that holiday cooking is always destined to be stressful! Holidays are stressful. My favorite part is when they are all over! lol As everyone said--don't make yourself crazy! It's not worth it. If you can't figure it out---do with the canned soup. It's the togetherness that counts--unless that is stressful too (and I'm sure it is definitely not with your Dad). Enjoy whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! I'm sorry this happened. Don't stress over the soup and buy something at the grocery store instead. I'm sure your dad appreciates the intention and effort. Enjoy Thanksgiving with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your TG had a very happy ending Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was really stressing about going to my sister's for TG. She has a Sear's catalog house complete with really small rooms and no tv downstairs and we usually sit around and stare at each other as many conversations are forbidden.
    However, they got a flat screen tv and football was on and no one had to stare at anybody and the previously forbidden conversations were old news. We all had a great time.
    TG is stressful and no one has to know it's progresso soup from a can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it was probably the onions. The carbohydrate in onions is hard to digest for many people--I can't handle them at all. (Google FODMAPS for more info if you're interested.) The other thing that can be hard to digest is the wheat in the noodles. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your father.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.