Sunday, October 4, 2015

Vogue 8944

20150916_091848
Do you read the McCall Pattern Company blog?  Last year they started doing videos of their new collections and posting them on their blog.  One of the women in the video was wearing this dress and I was instantly smitten.
20150916_091920
One of their blog commenters pointed out that it was also in their Fashion Fusion magazine, Fall/Winter 2014, on page 18.  Fashion Fusion combines Joann Fabrics with McCall patterns.  I have to give credit to Joann's; their fashion fabric is getting better.  No, it's not like going to the NYC Garment District, or downtown LA, but they are getting some better fabrics.
20151004_135801
It's a spongy knit with 25% crosswise stretch.

Here's the pattern envelope:
20151004_135744
I went by the finished pattern measurements and started with a 10 grading to 12; by the end it is probably a 10 all over. (The dress is supposed to be "very loose fitting" so it starts with a lot more ease, plus I was using a knit not woven fabric. I usually start with a 12 or 14).

I was totally intrigued by that above-bust seam.  It basically is taking the place of a dart.   I wanted to match the fabric print at that seam, so that it would be as invisible as possible.

I traced the pattern onto swedish tracing paper first, so that I would have full pattern pieces.  Have you used swedish tracing paper before?  An advantage is that you can sew on it and use it as a muslin!  Of course it is not stretchy like my fashion fabric, but I wanted to get a rough idea of where that seam was going to fall.  I basted that seam, the shoulder seams, and one side seam, then put it on (where the neckline promptly ripped--again, not stretchy--I just taped it back together again later) and used binder clips to hold it shut.

This gave me the idea to take 1/2" out of the top, to raise that seam up a bit.  I didn't want the seam to fall across my bust. I then removed the basting stitches from the tracing paper.
20151004_135913
When it came time to cut out the real fabric, I realized that the holes from the basting line gave me the perfect positioning of where I should place the pattern on the fabric.  I also had to tug on the fabric to grain it to get the lines in the fabric to be horizontal.
20151004_141334
The above picture was taken afterward, on a scrap, as a not-so-dramatic reenactment.
20151004_135712
If you stare at this picture long enough, you will see where the seam is.
20150914_214624
Instead of lining it as recommended, I bound the armholes and neckline with Nike Dri-Fit.  I love love love the effect.  Since the fabric turns out to be a little scratchy inside, I wear it with a full slip, and use a belt to nip it in at the waist.  Next time I make this dress, I might try lining it completely in Nike Dri Fit.
20150914_203111
The hem is very rounded and instructions for hems like this usually say something about basting that raw edge so you can gather it up to hem it.  A big tip (sorry, I don't remember where I learned this) is that if you crank up the DF on your serger to finish the raw edge, it will start to gather your fabric up (kind of like a fitted bed sheet corner) and naturally curl inward.  
20150914_203538
It worked like a charm.    Well, my first attempt I only brought the DF to 1.3 which wasn't enough to get the curl, so I went around again, over the existing serged edge, with the DF up to 1.5 and then it worked like a charm.  (I will note that it worked quite well on my serger (BabyLock Enlighten), but when I visited Lynn last week to show her this tip, it did not work on her serger at all, even when the DF on her serger was all the way up at 2.  Probably the tensions would have to be adjusted too on her serger to get this to work.)

20150914_205049
Then I press it with my Elna Press.
20150914_205629
Then I set it up for blind hemming.
20150914_210203
Then I blind hemmed it on my sewing machine with the stretch blind hemming stitch.    Usually I use a setting of -1 but I had to change it to -2 because this fabric is so thick and spongy.

20150916_092035
Overall I love this dress!  I like black and white combinations; I love this fit and flare style.  It does not wrinkle. My boss said that it looks expensive.  High praise!
20151002_164656
Flowers from the Princeton Farmers Market this week.

Be well!

28 comments:

  1. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really had to magnify the picture to see the seam at the bust. You did a marvelous job matching this up. Cute dress Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a fun puzzle thinking about how to get patterns on fabric to match up.

      Delete
  3. Very , very nice job !! Thanks for all the tips & directions . Good to hear Joanns might be stepping up their game - it's very much needed .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would step up their hiring. The ones around here are woefully short staffed and the cutting table wait is generally looooong.

      Somehow I missed this pattern. Must take a look at it!

      Nancy

      Delete
    2. Thanks MaryEllen and Nancy! Yes, Joann's is getting better with the fashion fabric. Honestly I try not to buy any of their fabric in-store anymore. I take a cell phone pic of the end of the bolt and then look up the SKU # online later. It has two benefits: no waiting at the counter and it also gives me time to think if I *really* want the fabric.

      Delete
  4. You look great in this dress! I love your new technique of lining up the fabric print with the basting stitch holes from the Swedish Tracing Paper! I am going to try that! Plus, Nike Dri-fit Fabric as the bias edge finish - another winner! Thanks also for the tip about the McCall's Sewing blog. I just watched their latest Fashion video and am so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're welcome for the tips. It is fun watching their videos.

      Delete
  5. Great dress. I didn't think about that bust seam doubling as a dart as we'll, but now it makes perfect sense. That pattern offers great colour blocking opportunities, if only I could come up with decent colour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute dress! I have this on my to sew list. You have motivated me to make sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still can't find the seam :-p

    I really love the shape of this on you. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I think this is truly my style, the fit and flare and A-line suit me the best.

      Delete
  8. This is really beautiful. When I first saw the dress I didn't think it had any darts/shaping at all since it was a knit. Those tips on using the basting holes as guides is great. Well, done! What a beautiful fabric too : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It also has back bodice darts, one on each side, so it fits really nicely. It is a really fun fabric!

      Delete
  9. This dress looks great! I'm adding this pattern to my list now. Also, I think I finally understand how to fold the fabric for a blind hem! You have no idea how many YouTube videos I watched (& scrap fabric I wasted), so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You did an awesome job with matching. That dress looks great on you too. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kyle, this is super! I have this pattern but was not inspired until I saw your version. It is really cute in that print.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kyle, your dress does look expensive. Now that's pattern matching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such high standards! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could have sworn I commented on this post; I know I read it! Anyway, your dress is great and you know I love that fabric. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress fits you to a tee and likes fantastic on you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dress! Lovely fabric and it fits you so well. Popping in as part of my blog comment challenge 300 in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful dress that fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely LOVE this dress!! these clothing patterns are totally paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know that how to use these apps. Can you give me some suggestion through by your post.Thanks.
    pirates of the caribbean 5

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.