Thursday, January 7, 2016
McCall's 6992 I wear my heart on my (sweatshirt) sleeve
Happy New Year!!! Thanks for your comments on my year-end recap!
I had 11 glorious days in a row off for the holidays. Most of the time I was either binge sewing or binge purging the house. I was hoping after returning to work that I could keep up the machine sewing at night, but I really can't. It's just not feasible for me, but I enjoyed every minute of binge sewing while it lasted! (I mainly machine sew on weekends, though I can do some handstitching during the week.)
Let's talk about the sweatshirt, shall we???
The pattern is McCall's 6992. I cut the size 14, except at the neckline which was a 12 (but read more about the neckline below, I wound up cutting it differently later).
The navy contrast sleeves are Joann sweatshirt fabric from my stash. The big shocker was that the Joann's fabric looks like sweatshirt fabric and feels like sweatshirt fabric, but has no stretch. Surprise! UGH! So for the neckband I had to use some stretchy ribbed knit from stash.
The anchor fabric is Juicy Couture sweatshirt fabric from the defunct Lucy's Fabrics (miss that site totally and completely. I discovered Lucy's just before they changed their focus to rhinestones, and they stocked loads of wonderful knits that I loved. Sniff. When they sold off their knits, I bought the rest of the Juicy fabric. I had made full-on pjs from this fabric years ago.).
I pretty much trace all my patterns so that I can cut them single layer. On this pattern, I wanted the CF to be centered over the anchors.
Stretch twin needle action for the hem. Also you get a nice closeup of the anchors.
I twin needle stitched the hem of the sleeves, too. I did not add the cuffs so the sleeve is a little bit short. Next time I'll just add an inch to the sleeve pattern.
Like many reviews on PR mentioned, the neckline of this sweatshirt is kind of high. I cut off 1.5" all the way around, but if I make this sweatshirt again, I'll just lower it in the CF and CB, not all the way around. Now the neckline is a bit too wide.
I used rib knit from stash for the binding.
There is a new dress shop in Princeton that has dresses with heart patches on the elbows. Later I heard from ATP that this is a trend that's all over Pinterest? I didn't know! But I thought it would be cute to sew on some heart elbow patches to match the hearts next to the anchors. I did not think of it til after the sweatshirt was sewn, though, so I cut them out of felt and then stitched them on by hand.
So then it looked like that. The hearts are from red felt, so I have no idea what they are going to look like after being washed.
The pattern has a neat shoulder dart, though I had to mark it in red so I knew where it was for tracing!! All those lines were confusing for my vacation brain!
The right elbow heart.
Completed Back. I think it would also be cute with one heart on one elbow and an anchor over the other elbow.
Overall I enjoyed working with this pattern, and the fact that it is a sweatshirt meant there wasn't much to do in the way of fit! And everything was already in my stash! Perfect!