Sunday, May 1, 2016

Sparkly New Look 6071

IMG_20160501_141430
I sewed a dress for the group dinner at the upcoming Pattern Review weekend.  I've never sewn specifically for the PR dinner before, because I really have no other occasions to wear a sparkly dress and my sewing time is limited.  If I'm going to sew, I generally want it to be something I have a chance at wearing a lot.
IMG_20160410_171956
Pattern + sparkle fabric

Somehow I felt differently this year and decided to make one of my favorite dresses, New Look 6071, out of this sparkly brown and entirely non-natural fabric I bought at the ASE, I think all the way back in 2012, with the intention of making this very dress.  Who knew it would take 3.5 years to live the dream?


IMG_20160501_141419



IMG_20160501_141221
I added darts in the back for a better fit.
IMG_20160412_230114
CB seam before and after

I've written about my first and second versions of the dress.  This time I cut it entirely in a 12.  I had to cut the back twice, because I couldn't stand how puckered the back seam was and I wasn't about to unpick the serging when I had enough fabric to cut the back again..  I had to lower the DF on my serger down to 0.6 and then use my Elna Press.  Together they created a nice, flat seam.  I also used the EP on the side seams and on my hem.  I added a little modesty panel that is sewn in.
sparkly NL6071 with shrug
With a shrug

It's impossible to see the sparkle at a distance.
sparkly NL6071
These are some dressform pix taken on a sunnier day.
IMG_20160417_151924
I bound the armhole and neckline, and twin needled the hem.
IMG_20160417_151855

sparkly NL6071
Sparkle!!
IMG_20160416_081907
While sewing the binding
IMG_20160501_142134
I finally bought a tripod for my phone.   My new phone is still a generic Android, but it has a lot of neat features like it will automatically take a picture if it detects that I'm smiling!  This smile feature means I took over 60 pictures in my photo shoot today in a matter of minutes.  And I love that I can actually see myself as I take the picture.  No more guessing about where I am in the frame, though I could do a better job of centering myself in the frame.  Baby steps.
sparkly NL6071


I took these photos in a very gentle rain.  Everything's getting that leafy green Jurassic Park look outside.
IMG_20160501_140853
I can stare deep into my camera phone.

Be well!

21 comments:

  1. Your dress is beautiful and I love the sparkly fabric. It reminds me of a starry night. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! It really sparkles in sunlight and in halogen light. :)

      Delete
  2. Your new creation is cute. Nice choice of fabrics for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy DotDot! The fabric and pattern matched well.

      Delete
  3. Miss Sparkles - what phone did you end up with?
    Have you thought about matching sparkly shoes?
    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wound up with a no-name ZTE Max2 gophone from AT&T. It's a pre-paid plan.

      Ha ha for extra sparkle with the shoes!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I love the fit of this dress.

      Delete
  5. Well done! And thanks for showing the last picture, which cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh sparkly! This dress looks great. I bought this pattern based on how good it looks on you (which is ridiculous as we have such dissimilar body shapes LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have almost done the same thing, with the Named Jamie jeans. They looked amazing on my friend, but her body is totally different than mine!

      Delete
  7. I think your dress is perfect Kyle!! The sparkles add just enough pizazz (lol) and your fit is spot on! Enjoy the PR event, I know you are sure to shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s lovely! I’ve got some similar clothing patterns in my stash, and I’m hoping that my current shift dress pattern process will end up like this… and you’ve just confirmed it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked the perfect pattern for your sparkly fabric. Your dress looks wonderful and fits you beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean Margaret! I love that pattern!

      Delete
  10. Oh yeah! Beautifully executed! Thanks for showing the before and after on puckery seams. I always struggle with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hate puckery seams and had practiced on a 4" test sample first, but it wasn't as evident in the 4" sample as it was all.the.way.down.the.back.of.the.dress! LOL!

      Delete
  11. Your sparkly dress looks great! I am currently working with a fabric that has sparkles, but the sparkle is clear sequins that is gumming up my needle - - any suggestion that you can make to have a successful project? TIA
    Rosalia
    cayucos09@gmail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I can think of is to cut the clear sequins out of the seam allowance, but only if that will not unravel your whole line of sequins--best to try a sample first! (I have not sewn with sequins before but I have read that advice before).

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.