Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Construction photos of the Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag + Voting is Now Open!

Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag Me Holding the Bag

Voting is now open til Oct 24!  I would be beyond thrilled if you would consider voting for my entry in the PR handbag contest. If you've been a PR member (free or paying) for at least 3 months, you can vote.  The gallery of all 33 entries is here.

Since my last post focused mainly on the finished bag photos, I thought I'd show some "construction" photos here.

Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: the embossed pig leather
Printed the pattern 4x and taped it together....ha ha for printing pages double sided.  Here it is on the pig leather from Kashi
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Connector strap samples
I made a lot of strap samples before sewing "the real deal"
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Connector strap excitement
Connector strap assembly line--As far as I can tell, I am the only entrant who used contrasting thread for topstitching on leather (it's gray to match the crosshatch pattern)
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Making sure the straps are 5" apart with a 5" quilting ruler
Trick for making sure the connector straps are really 5" apart--used a quilters ruler (which I use a lot in garment sewing) which is 5" and lined up the middle of the ruler with the middle of the fabric
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: I used 0.75" tape to know where to stop stitching
How I knew where 3/4" from the edge of the rectangle ring was--with 3/4" scotch tape.  Also because the connector is folded around the rectangle ring and then under, I used a scrap of folded leather under the back of the presser foot as a "hump jumper".
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Pulling the thread tails to the back with a hand needle to then tie them off
If I stitched up, over and down on my strap samples, the corner stitching kept popping out, so I stitched up, kept long thread tails, pulled them to the back.  Then I stitched down, kept long thread tails, pulled to back.  Then I stitched across with long thread tails and pulled to the back.  By "pulled them to the back" I mean I threaded the tail on a leather handstitching needle, brought the tail to the back and then tied it off.
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Pellon Flex Foam wonder clipped to the exterior
Wonder Clipping the Pellon Flex Foam to the bag.
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: installing foam with a walking foot
Walking foot excitment (cue "walk this way" played over and over and over again in my head)
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Exterior construction.  Pellon Foam Flex already installed
With rivets and feet and bag bling--installing all of that is SUPER easy.
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: this lining didn't work out; not on grain and too thick overall
The lining that was an utter fail (too thick, heavy, and off grain to boot)
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Lining in stages
The lining that did work out!  Silver quilted brocade with NYC subway map interior zipper pocket of course!

Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Making straps
Making straps with a piece of tape on my 1/4" quilter foot so that it doesn't get stuck on the leather
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag:  Rivet installation for the straps
Just add more rivets!! and done!
  Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag ECU straps
Take shots of the sexy straps
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag Purse feet and close up of the "girl with the ponytail" zipper pulls
Take photos outside
Blue Calla Boronia Bowler Bag: Front view
Rejoice! The bag is finished! :)

There are more pix in this Flickr album.

If you'd like to vote (and have been a member of PR (free or paying) for at least 3 months), the gallery of all 33 entries is here.  Thank you for your support, y'all!  I really appreciate you!

Be well!

31 comments:

  1. Great pics and fabulous result. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was marveling at your precision sewing and beautiful topstitching from the previous post. Thanks for showing your techniques. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good luck for you in the contest!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pencil Girl!! :)

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on your win! I am very excited for you! Happy Dance! :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much for your support Elizabeth!

      Delete
  6. That Handbag is E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is the best one of the bunch, Kyle. You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Peter! Thank you for your kind words! And thank you for your vote!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the tip to use tape on the presser foot when seeing leather. I was seeing my daughters Halloween costume today and bought faux leather for a sewn on belt. It stuck to the presser foot :0. Then I remembered reading your blog and was saved! The tape worked like a charm. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Molybden! The tape will eventually peel off--a teflon presser foot is really the best.

      Delete
  9. Another great bag Kyle.. you've got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your support and your vote Summer Flies!

      Delete
  10. OMG, that is amazing. The bag is a lovely size and well balanced. Your choice of gray topstitching thread was a good call. Off to vote. My entry is languishing off to the side of my studio table. I still plan to complete it and a turquoise faux leather bag but on my timetable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary! Contest deadlines are stressful! I'm super interested in seeing your turquoise faux leather bag as I love turquoise.

      Delete
  11. The amount of work & detail you put into this gorgeous bag is amazing !
    Happily voted for this stunner !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support MaryEllen!!

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous bag. Truly stunning. For having so many firsts in one bag, it turned out perfect. I can't vote, but your bag would have my vote if I could, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy to have voted for you and SO HAPPY that you won! Congratulations on a well-deserved win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your continual support Tomasa--you are one of my strongest cheerleaders!

      Delete
  14. Hey Kyle. Congratulations on winning the contest. You do such great work on clothes and bag that this bag was a dead cert to win. I'm doing a happy dance for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! We can do a happy dance together the next time we meet up! :)

      Delete
  15. Hello Kyle, I love your bag, it is a good job, thanks for sharing. Could you tell me where I can find the patterns. Sorry but I didnt find it. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.