Thursday, March 9, 2017

Navel gazing about blogging, or not blogging

IMG_20170308_162918
Swatch at Mood


If I've met you in person the last three years, we've probably had this conversation at some point, where I talk about giving up blogging.     It's been on my mind for awhile, but I've pretty much stopped blogging this year.    I have not stopped creating, though.  I have a lot of things to show you that I've made recently (garments, keychains, embroidery.)   I have a lot of stories to tell (how I sewed a sweatshirt that is the most expensive thing I've ever made, how I used another sewist's scraps to sew 2 shirts for myself, how I used two lengths of fabric that I thought were the same to sew stretch velvet pants, and then it turned out they were not the same fabric, how I am getting the Jalie Eleonores to fit me better in the waistband.)   I still have flowers to show you.  I went to the Day Without a Woman rally in NYC yesterday at noon; I'd like to tell you about that.  I bought a cover stitch machine last weekend, I can totally see writing about that too.

However, I have a dearth of desire to write the blog. It takes a lot of time/effort to write the blog, match up the pix to the text, caption the pix, remove flickr tags that embeds flickr branding in the photos, etc etc etc). Most posts take 90 minutes at least.   Larger posts can take 3 hours.  I have tried challenging myself to write complete posts in 60 minutes including incorporating already-taken pix into the posts; most of the time I go over.

I used my blog as a public journal for keeping track of my sewing, for writing out what I changed about garments, writing about techniques, and just plain show and tell.  Sometimes I search my own blog for information, but I also keep a hand written notebook of techniques, and I could go back to the "pre blogging days" of writing changes on the pattern envelopes themselves.

My blog wound up being a way that I met fellow sewists, through your kind comments and your own blogs, and stayed connected with you.   I have never had a Facebook account (and never intend to) but I joined Instagram in August 2015 and have really enjoyed it. If there is a point I want to record for posterity, lately I've been adding it as an Instagram comment.  At this point I think I've met maybe half as many people IRL from IG as I have from my blog, but I expect that number will grow.

My entire creative life is there on IG.  You don't need an IG account to see my IG account on your computer, but you do need one to like and comment.  AFAIK, you can only get an IG account by downloading the app on your smart phone and signing up for an account--then if you want to you could log in, like and comment from your computer, or just use the app on your phone.

I love IG and am addicted to it.  IG feels like appetizers.  Blog posts are like 5 course meals.

I attended Sew Expo in Puyallup, WA for the first time ever this past weekend and maybe I will write a post about it this weekend?  I just don't know.  I don't know if writing this post tonight will somehow reignite my desire to blog.  It certainly doesn't feel like an official goodbye, but it doesn't feel like I'm just taking a break either.

I will be at PR weekend in NYC June 2-3 this year.  So maybe I'll see you there?  Or on IG?  Or maybe I'll meet you back here, this weekend, or next week, or next month.  
IMG_20170309_171119_980
Here's my link to Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vacuumingthelawn/
Right now, there's a lot on there about the Day Without a Woman march, and then Sew Expo, and then the creative stuff!
Thank you for reading and commenting!  Be well!!!

44 comments:

  1. The first reaction is 'Oh,no!' but then I totally get it. Will follow on IG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a lot of work but I so appreciate the tutorials that you bloggers sometime share. I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do. I'm sure I will look at the pretty pictures on IG. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you took the time and trouble to fly out west to SewExpo. Through you, I got to meet some other bloggers that I might not have had the courage to meet by myself.
    I love instagram too but there is a depth lacking on IG that Blogger supplies, both in content and a more personal view to the person who writes so well. I'm not sure we would have got to know each other if I had noticed you first on IG.
    I also know, sometimes, we have to be able to give ourselves a pass on items that have become cumbersome. Free up some time for other new pursuits. I expect a complete rundown on your new coverstitch though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I m sad to read this as I always click your blog as soon as I see it. You've really inspired me at times and I appreciate that. But I also understand how writing a blog post as well as you do can be a time crash. I'd love to read about your trip to Puyallup but if that post doesn't happen I'll be grateful to you just the same. Thank you for all your hard work, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kyle, I love your blog and your efforts. I totally get it though and that's why my blog is like the electronic scrap of paper! I just can't put in so much effort. It's definitely not a fancy blog (mine that is) and it still takes time. For what it's worth the effort you put in is appreciated and acknowledged!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, you have to do what works!

    I will say I'm moving in the opposite direction. I want to focus more on blogging but IG feels like the new FB to me. Well it *IS* owned by Facebook now so there's that.

    I always appreciate the more in depth blogs, like yours. I also know I'll never blog that way. I get a lot of requests for more explanations, tutorials, etc but it just isn't me. Because I KNOW I won't spend hours on photos and a post! I do a quick "thoughts-on-page-conscious-stream" type of deal and then edit (or try to. Haha!).

    So I get wanting a nicely organized, well documented blog...but having it be a tad overwhelming. I'm sure you'll figure out which way you're leaning!!

    Sounds like fun times with all the sewing related travel!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My blogging has been going by the wayside also. Just can't get the enthusiasm to do it any more. I'm sure I will still post sporadically, but I don't do IG and have no desire to pick it up. Guess I have just retired almost from social media, LOL. Will miss your posts but definitely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same way! Blogging takes so much time, IG should really stand for Instant Gratification! :)
    I will be at PR weekend too, I'd love to meet you IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand the lack of desire to write blog posts given how much time they take. That's why, in the blink of an eye, I had a 5 year gap in my already infrequent posts. Well, that AND not much sewing or much of anything post worth happening. I know many are using IG for the quick "here's what's going on" posts, and saving blog posts for the detailed "how I did this" information. Which is fine by me, as long as viewing IG is possible by non-members.

    I'm waffling on joining IG, given FB's past history of jacking around with security settings with no warning or notice of what they've changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you continue blogging because I (perhaps selfishly) way prefer reading blogs to IG. I just don't find IG very satisfying, to me it is really superficial. Some of the most interesting blogs do quite short posts, just a few photos and some info or comments on one topic - perhaps you could test out changing your blogging style? but of course you should do what feels right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will certainly miss your blog posts but I certainly understand how you feel. There have been times I have thought about not blogging anymore but on the other hand, I very much enjoy interacting with fellow sewing bloggers and meeting more people in the sewing community. So I still blog but don't put pressure on myself to blog at certain intervals or frequency.

    I have at times considered going Instagram but like JustGail, I do not feel comfortable doing so with Facebook's past history of security snafus. My husband was the victim of identity theft some years ago. Ever since then, I am super careful about who gets my information. I had a Facebook account which I closed as soon as I heard that they had given out member's information to marketing firms without permission. Facebook's past does not make me feel comfortable so that is why I do not want to join Instagram.

    I find looking at the Instagram posts fun but prefer blog posts.

    Regardless, you must do what works best for you. Life is too short to be burdened by doing things you don't really feel like doing. If you stop blogging completely, I would certainly miss your posts but I do understand!

    I will be attending the PR Weekend in June so I look forward to seeing you there. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so loved meeting you in LoriAnne's booth at Sew Expo. I was glad you could come but I wish you could have seen Sew Expo years ago. This year was the lowest in vendors and people I have seen in the last 10 years or so. So many great ones were not there. Sandra Betzina is gone and so is Marcy, and many others. It is sad to see.
    I understand about the blogging. I do not have a blog because I don't enjoy writing or taking pictures. I will not be able to comment on IG because I do not have a smart phone to load the app. I will miss your posts but I really believe that a person needs to follow the path that feels best. Doing something because others want you to just does not make it. Keep pursuing your path, it is a wonderful life long experience. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy reading your blog, although I have less time to comment. I can tell that you put a lot of time and effort into your entries. If blogging isn't as enjoyable as it used to be, maybe it's time for you to take a break. I will miss reading your posts, but I will be following you on Instagram!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  14. You be well too Kyle. I've been reading here for a very long time and have enjoyed it and have learned a lot from you. What ever platform you decide on I'll still be trying to keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand exactly where you are coming from! I was on the fence about continuing to blog some years ago, and expressed those reservations with you. Yet, now I'm blogging, lol! Funny how that worked out!

    Regardless, I LOVE your blog, and LOVED meeting you. And I know you will make the best decision for yourself and move forward.

    I do hope to hear of all your adventures in sewing, and see some of the makes you talk about. But if not, I am glad to hear you are still delving in your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kyle -I too was sad to read this as I so enjoy reading your blog . But I also follow you on IG which I love . It does take a lot of time to keep up with blogging, but I hope you will post sometimes as I enjoy the details you always provide. I'm still considereing coming to PR weekend .
    Thanks for all the inspiration you provide !

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hear you about the amount of time a blog post takes! I'm selfishly sorry you're cutting back on blogging because I enjoy your posts so much. Your sewing standards are amazing. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your blog...it's one of my favourites. I like your down to earth approach and the types of projects you show. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It took a blizzard / snow day for me to catch up on my blog reading. I totally hear you about blogging. I've been dragging my feet on a couple of projects lately. They're finished, but the idea of dragging out the camera and tripod makes me want to do anything but. I hope you'll continue to keep us all updated on your projects. No pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Kyle, saw your comment on Elizabeth Made This. What you didn't know is that I was secretly wishing you would join - but didn't want to impose by asking! Can I add you and your top in the sewalong???

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice sharing! Glad to read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ฉันอ่านบล็อกฉันรู้สึกว่าชอบ ขอบคุณการแบ่งปันข้อมูล
    goldenslot
    สล็อตออนไลน์
    สมัคร gclub

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. As I mow, I think of your blog (and you).
    When I see the pics from MPB Day - there you are.
    Thank you for all of your contributions (much appreciated). InstaGram will have to go into the rotation.

    A fan you didn't know you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Testosterone! I recognize you from Peter's blog. That is SO funny about you mowing and thinking of my blog and me! Love that!
      And you are right--you are a fan I didn't know I had. :)

      Delete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.