Sunday, July 15, 2012

New Look 6843 view D

NewLook 6843 view D
Just a quick post about the sewing I did this weekend: New Look 6843 view D, size 14.  Just like last week's flower skirt, but longer and in plain boring practical black fabric.    What can I say, I needed a plain black skirt that sits at the waist. Almost all of my skirts sit at the hip and I now prefer them to sit at my waist.

The fabric is a mystery synthetic that I've had in stash for YEARS. It might very well be 15 year old fabric.  There is nothing natural about this fabric whatsoever.  It's totally fake.

 NewLook 6843 view D
back view:
 NewLook 6843 view D
as for a side view, you'll have to be satisfied with a bathroom shot from earlier in the day:
New Look 6843 view D
Here it is with different shirts.
NewLook 6843 view D
NewLook 6843 view D
My waistband is probably the best waistband I ever inserted.
Darts are getting better--still need a tailor's ham.  Looked at Joann's this week but the hams were ugly.  Are there any pretty tailor's hams out there??
NewLook 6843 view D
Alas, I have a little difficulty with the invisible zipper.
NewLook 6843 view D
I *swear* when the zip was 9 inches, it curved very nicely around my bum.  I should have just left the zipper tail and not cut it.
But then I cut it down to 7 or so?
and now it sort of juts out. It really seems to be the zipper jutting out there.
It is only noticeable from a certain angle.
NewLook 6843 view D
Still, it bothers me. I think I will wear it to work anyway and see how it flies.
NewLook 6843 view D
My dressform, topless, but with a tape measure "scarf":
NewLook 6843 view D

There's at least one more skirt I plan to make soon:  The Rachel skirt.  I made it last August but it has some issues and I have enough fabric to make it again!  yea!

Here's the flower selection for today--flowers from my yard, my neighbor's yard, and the farmer's market:
assortment of flowers
My mom gave me a gardenia plant and it is blooming quite nicely. The flowers seem to turn yellow as they age.
gardenia: stages of life
Oldest to newest--and for my Texas readers, a Texas bluebells shot glass from San Antonio circa 2003.

Be well!!!

15 comments:

  1. A lovely skirt and very flattering, it suits you on the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fit. Love the way you change it up. Nice wardrobe enhancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet skirt, don't worry about the zip, it's not noticeable.
    Take a look thru Threads or Sew News (I read it recently but forget which one) there is instructions on making your own tailor hams! Don't forget to post pics if you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Native Texan here and thank you for the State Flower shot glass. :) It's bluebonnet, but bluebell is a pretty name,too. There is an Etsy shop called Stitch Nerds that sells pretty hams, and you can choose your fabrics.
    http://www.stitchnerdcustomshop.com/ Anne of Gorgeous Fabrics did a post on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get that annoying bump with invisible zips sometimes too. Your skirt is great though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone needs a good black skirt, you can wear it with everything! Love all your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That 15 year old fake fabric looks fabulous in this skirt. And the skirt looks fabulous on you. I think I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little basic skirt. Goes with everything. Goes everywhere. So, where's the food? Did you quit eating? Have you found any good vegetarian recipes lately?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You cannot beat a little black skirt for usefulness. Yours is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. To avoid that annoying lump at bottom of invisible zip, you'll need to take a few hand stitches to close up the last little bit of the seam. It is nearly physically impossible that you'll be able to do it neatly on the machine. "Pretty ham"? Not in the stores. I think that at least Kwik-Sew has a pattern for making your own ham/sleeve roll/travel ironing board pad; maybe also Simplicity. I wouldn't recommend making your own unless you have easy access to a lot of sawdust, but you could use the pattern to make a pretty cover for a store-boughten pressing ham.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, there are fabulous, fun, cool tailor hams-big ones, not those wimpy ones you find in JoAnn's: http://www.stitchnerdcustomshop.com/

    I ordered one in plaid and pink-makes me smile every time. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shows you how versatile a nice-fitting black skirt can be: in every photo, I thought you'd sewn a new dress that had a black skirt attached! I have the Dritz tailor's ham with the red plaid on one side. Gets the job done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only use a 9" skirt zipper so you may want to consider that in the future because there is no hard and fast rule that says the zipper has to be 7" long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While this may not have been an exciting thing to sew, it definitely will be a wardrobe workhorse that you will surely be glad you have in rotation! Gotta love a good fitting black skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kyle! Your selected stuffs are just perfect; both color and the fabric of the kilt. I guess it'll be nice to wear, too. Thanks to your mom for a fantastic gift like the 'gardenia plant'.
    yard kilts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.