Sunday, July 8, 2012

New Look 6843 view E redux 6 years later

July 2012 New Look 6843
New Look 6843 view E, size 14, finished today 7/8/12.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my Butterick ruffle dress. That one was a real trial but I am happy I sewed it and that it turned out so well.  I wore it to work on Thursday and got lots of nice comments.

So, 6 years ago, on 7/9/06, I sewed New Look 6843 view E in a size 12.
I loved this fabric the minute I saw it at Rag Shop (RIP.) Yes, Carolyn, the one off Rt 1 in Edison (though I also went to the one off Rt 18 in East Brunswick too).
Here it is, the skirt I made 6 years ago:
New Look 6843 July 2006
New Look 6843
 Love my little "notes to self".  Also this was more than an hour....

 I wore it once, washed it, and it shrank (Those were the days of no pre-treatment!).   I could never wear it buttoned up again. But I loved the fabric and made it two more times, as Simplicity 4036 in both the short and long lengths.  So I had three versions of this skirt in total, original NL 6843 and two of S4036. Long length shown here:
Here's Simplicity 4036
Basically, NL 6843 sits at the waist and S4036 sits below the waist. After last year's pencil skirt, I am loving skirts that sit at the waist. And when I had the Big Closet Cleanout recently, I found my three versions of this skirt and decided to take the fabric from the long S4036 and make it into a properly fitting NL6843, sitting at the waist.

It was going pretty well til I realized this, half way through my new skirt:

July 2012 fail: New Look 6843
Flower power on the derriere!   

Yes, two big flowers, one on each cheek and oddly placed at that.  UGH.
So I had a nice meltdown about that, as the invisible zip there is probably the best one of my life, plus I have no more fabric....but then I remembered I still had the shorter version of 4036.

I took it apart and used the front of 4036 to make the back of my new 6843.   That way there would be no center back seam.
I inserted a side invisible zip which induced fear in me but actually went ok!  And I used a snap instead of a button and buttonhole.

invisible zipper on NL 6843 July 2012
You can see how much I have improved (zippers and darts and waistbands all much improved!)!
July 2006: New Look 6843
I have started interfacing the zipper area just to make sure nothing stretches. That was recommended to me by y'all when I had trouble with NL6000 and it seems like a good habit to be in, even if the fabric is woven and non-stretchy.  I also eased the zipper in and curved it following the curve of the skirt as per spottedroo.
interfacing the zipper area
Oh, and I used the back of the shorter skirt to make the waistband for the new one:
July 2006: New Look 6843

The length of the skirt was dictated by the length of the old short one--which sat the hip--so this one is shorter than my usual length.

Some more views: side
July 2012 New Look 6843
Back:
July 2012 New Look 6843
Front:
July 2012 New Look 6843
Me and my old skirt. (So now I have two versions of this skirt; the one that fits and the one I made 6 years ago):
July 2012 New Look 6843
The calendar says August--I'm looking at future vacation dates--not confused about which month it is...
New Look 6843 July 2012 on left, July 2006 on right
Back of both skirts:
New Look 6843 July 2012 on left, July 2006 on right
The other thing you may have noticed is all the white stuff on the floor. Back in 2006 I didn't finish any seams. So when I took the skirts apart, they were already unraveling and I cut that stuff off and a lot of it wound up on my floor!! Craziness. I'm sure Hal won't mind vacuuming up for me while I'm bringing home the bacon tmw.

So to sum up, my improvements in  6 years include:
  • finishing the interior seams (even though it's not serged, it's better than a raw edge)
  • pressing seams and darts (though I still need a tailor's ham to do this properly)
  • actually marking the dart stitching line
  • following directions for trimming
  • using an invisible zip which looks better than centered zip, IMHO
  • Actually inserting a zip on the side to preserve continuity of pattern on the back of the skirt.
  • using a sewing gauge
  • not zig zagging the hem (Though it's a curved hem and could use some work)
  • ironing the finished product
  • Never drying in the dryer any garment I make that is not pajamas or underwear.
  • pretreating fabric before working with it.
  • ironing fabric and pattern before working with it.
It all makes a difference, but it took 6 years to get there.

weather.com said it was 100F yesterday; my thermometer registered 90F:
90F in my backyard (100F according to weather.com)
Bumblebees LOVE rose of sharon and its delicious pollen.  And I love bumblebees.  I love the sound they make, how they look covered in pollen, and the fact that they leave me alone.  Their interest lies in pollen, not me nor my food (unlike honeybees, who love me for my food).
bzzt!  bumble bees and rose of sharon
Did you know? Cynthia Rowley has a line of...band-aids? Now your cuts and scrapes can be bandaged in style....
Cynthia Rowley bandaids
Princeton Farmer's Market flowers for this week:
Princeton Farmer's Market flowers
Be well!!!

12 comments:

  1. Great remake! I love invisible zippers and am contemplating getting rid of all of my old regular ones.

    The house next to me has a Rose of Sharon bush and the bees *love* it. I love it too when they leave me alone. I am scared of all things that buzz and steer clear of that bush while in bloom. It doesn't help that I was stung by a bee in college...details omitted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both. It's the perfect summer skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to see the improvement that six years of sewing made. That encourages me to keep on sewing even though I still have so much to learn. And I'm off to read about that curved zipper installation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! The dreaded pattern twinning centered on the rear. That's funny! SO glad it worked out for you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great comparison! Besides getting a new updated skirt, you also got to see how far you've come! I'm sure it feels good. As far as Rag Shop is concerned, isn't it amazing how that chain just disappeared?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this. Imagine what another 6 years could do to your (and everybody's!) standards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the biggest concerns I have when sewing patterned fabric is odd placement of key motifs. Favorite relatives to this, as we may have discussed, are the double breast pockets on many RTW shirts, with a buttoned flap, where the buttons are conveniently placed *ahem* at the apex of the bust. Yes, it's all about the placement, isn't it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of skills that you've learnt and are using since making the first skirt.
    Love these skirts too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was really interesting to read and see your progress over the years. Sort of makes me wish I blogged to see my progress.

    Where did you find the Cynthia Rowley bandaids? Too adorable!

    Thanks in advance, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made a huge improvement in your sewing. Experience, you know-the best teacher! Your skirt is so cute-and perfect for a summer day, or night. Good job, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun experiment! I wonder if I have enough fabric to do that, though at this point I've gotten rid of most of my older, poorly sewn stuff. Love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great skirt. I have that pattern, too! I had something similar happen to me many years ago with a tropical print. This print was rayon and had little luxury ships on it, as well as flowers and surfers. Anyway, when I cut out the top of the blouse I was making, I didn't notice the motif placement. It wasn't until I unfolded the bodice that I noticed that I had an upside down cruise ship in the middle of my chest. Ooops. live and learn. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.