Saturday, April 13, 2013
Take 3: McCall's 6078 view C changing cowl again
This fabric has a story....it was draped on the mannequin outside of Kashi's during PR weekend 2012. I asked if there was any more of it left.
The answer, no.
I asked if I could have the piece.
Initially his son said no, but I asked Kashi and he said, "it's not even a yard."
I asked again if I could have it.
This time the answer was YES.
It was 35".
PERFECT for McCall's 6078.
I liked the loops, but last time taking 2" out of the cowl was too much and I couldn't really do the loops.
This time I took 1" out of the cowl.
I put the pieces back together again, and folded on the fold line, and drew out 1 5/8" this time (instead of 2 5/8" like last time. The 5/8" is the SA.)
Folded on the line I just drew:
Opened the piece up and drew on the fold:
Cut that bit out:
Was feeling smart because I checked that the shoulder seams matched, so I cut out the back as-is. But the shoulder seams only matched... on the pattern. Depending on how you finish the back seam, they might not match in reality when you're sewing...as was my case and I took another tuck in the shoulder seam to make up for it.
So here was how it looked before I added loops:
And here it is after adding loops:
I'm wearing my J Stern Designs brown cords... they go together well.
I centered the flower on the back. Not sure if that was a good idea or not:
Here's how I finished the back edge:
And here's how I bound the armhole edges. I used a version of Deepika's method for the armholes:
Here's a closeup of the loop. It's actually Halloween fabric, used for making Pocahontas costumes. I used it for piping my argyle dress last year.
I might put darts in the back for my sway back, but maybe not. It's done for now.
I'm cat sitting again.
Buddy helped me feed the squirrels today!
Be well! Good night!