Thursday, July 3, 2014

What I've been up to


20140701_140801
Celebratory cake on 7/1/14.  We had fruit tart and brownies too!

So, I'm going to indulge in a totally non-sewing related post.

I'm a bit punchy.

My big work project, which started in earnest for me 21 months ago, went live on Tuesday.  I had seen the go live date of 7/1/14 for so long now written in so many ways for 21 months:
7/1
7/1/14
7/1/2014
July 1, 2014

and on Tuesday morning, when my eyes popped open at 4:30am, and I turned on my laptop and looked in the bottom right corner of my laptop screen, there it was.

7/1/2014

I am SO happy, SO excited, SO relieved.  There is still plenty left to do, but the heavy lifting is over, the analyze, design, develop, customization, spec writing, configuration, business process, testing, initial data cleanup, data conversion, data validation phases are all over.    I have been teaching folks on the new system, and there more training to be done and documentation to write. I will run some labs. There will be more data cleanup.  There will be better data checking.  There will be a phase 2.   I doubt that phase 2 will be as much work, as intense, as stressful, or as meeting filled as phase 1.  There was a week where I had reached my personal record of 21 meetings in 4 consecutive days.  Could it ever be that busy again?

I have been working 6 days a week for a while now.  I worked the last 18 days straight, some of them were 12 hour days.

I feel like I just graduated with a masters degree in PeopleSoft Grants.  Or like it was Christmas morning.

We had an amazing session with the university president on Wednesday morning.  I felt so proud to be on this project.   A project that I did not volunteer for.  A project that was not in my job description.   This project was one of the most difficult and stressful things I have ever done.  There is a school of thought that anything worth doing is hard work.  This was hard work.  It was worth doing.   I have learned and grown so much, been challenged in many ways.  And I'm so glad the project is released!

I'm taking these three days off, but afterward I look forward to reconnecting with you, my blog readers, doing some sewing again, and posting here actively again!!

Be well.


21 comments:

  1. Congrats on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect you back Monday then.

    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will remember that date for many more days yet ~ congrat's on the achievement ... J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting it done, you must be relieved that it's over! When I saw the photo of the cake I thought it said happy Prince day and I was expecting to see you in a raspberry beret having a party like it's 1999!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and take a well earned vacation this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sky's the limit when we meet, take on, and complete the Challenges. Congratulations on meeting and completing the project. Job well done; vacation deserved! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Kyle! Sounds like a long haul and such a relief to be to past the "live" date. Enjoy the weekend!!! And your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contrats Kyle! Enjoy yourself this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Kyle! Your excitement is contagious. :) Glad you get to enjoy some relaxed time for yourself now.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been one busy bee! Congratulations on going live! I hope things settle in for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Kyle! I hope you are enjoying you well deserved time to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic news Kyle. You've come out of this with flying colours. I hope you can really relax now and just smell the roses for a while.
    #hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering how you were. I'm glad to see you posting again and glad your launch was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Kyle! Look forward to your new sewing, and otherwise adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad it's been so successful for you, congratulations! You deserve to have some fun with relaxing or sewing now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very enjoyed for this blog. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
    If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    I know something information, to know you can click here
    Garden makeover Gold Coast
    garden services gold coast

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.