Thursday, August 21, 2014

B&W gym tank, Simplicity 9776-ish

Simplicity 9776-ish

Thanks for your comments about the red dress, I really enjoyed reading them.  (Rose, I enjoyed how you called it "Kyle Red".  I think red and turquoise (separately, not together) are my best colors and I need to sew with them more.)  I wore the dress again today and I really enjoyed wearing it.  Definitely want to make it again, but need to cut the armholes deeper for sure.  It's a little too tight under the arms.

Soooo....I'm on vacay this week.  Is there anything more glorious than a summer vacation???   On Saturday I made this tank as I wanted some new gym wear.  I made my first tank for the gym last summer after taking "More Knits", a PR online class, where a tiny little tank was sewn to teach us how to sew FOE.   I was hooked, but I had no other pieces of stretch lace at the time.  Since then I've bought a few pieces of stretch lace, ahem.  And I've worn that tank almost once a week for the past year!  The lace is looking a bit worn but I'll keep wearing it til it disintegrates.

Simplicity 9776-ish
For my new tank, both fabrics (stretch lace and white knit underlining) are from Stitched Fabrics, purchased during PR weekend Austin earlier this year.  The FOE is from Pacific Trimming, purchased during MPB Day this year.  Yes, items that have been in stash less than 4 months, yahoo!!!
close up of black stretch lace with white knit underlining
Closeup shot of the black stretch lace with white knit underlining

I cut the tank on the cross grain, which was the stretchiest direction, and also allowed me to take advantage of the selvedge to use it as the bottom edge.
Simplicity 9776-ish

I wore it to 5pm boogietone today (basically 45 minutes of club, latin and other styles of dancing, you can choose the intensity but I usually go for it) and it held up well.  I feel like I could sew it a bit tighter for a closer fit, like it's slightly too loose, but I'll wear it a few more times before making that final determination.  My gym friend Sara, who continues to be a huge sewing cheerleader of mine, really loved it.


Simplicity 9776-ish
I also feel like it could be a bit lower on my chest, or maybe the tank should be shorter?  Something about the proportion doesn't seem quite right.  However, another one of my classmates asked me if I've lost weight (I haven't), so something must be right about this top.

Simplicity 9776-ish
I think I'm continually amazed at how slow I am at sewing.  I'm thinking "this will take me one hour" and I think it was almost 4 (includes everything from tracing the pattern onto swedish tracing paper so I could cut it single layer to serger rethreading to final press--yes, I pressed the seams of a stretch lace tank top and yes it made a difference!)

Simplicity 9776-ish

I basted it first  with a narrow zig zag on my sewing machine then serged the interior seams, then used the zig zag stitch on the FOE as I learned in the PR "More Knits" class.   There are no loving pictures of the inside of this tank as my serger really hacked it up; I have since figured out the correct settings (more on that in my next post about the next tank I made).

Simplicity 9776-ish
This picture is a riot.
hibsicus 8/21/14

I didn't get to plant any flowers this year, but I did manage to use a gift card from my friend Meg to buy two hibiscus plants from that famous nursery, Whole Foods.  Here is one of them, which bloomed with flowers that were sometimes orange and sometimes red.   The other one will bloom either tmw or Saturday and I'll get a picture of it as it's pink.

God-cat owner Christine wanted to know what's up with the soap in the pot.  It's Irish Spring and is initially quite fragrant--it deters the deer from eating the hibiscus which are delicious.  Deer don't like strong scents, or so says the internet, and it seems to work.

Be well!

13 comments:

  1. My co-worker was amazed when I told her I spent probably 8 hours sewing my VW van bag. Not all at once, but added up, sewing does take longer. I don't think of you as slow - you're working full-time + (hello big project) and still managing to sew dresses! I'm amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara is right. This is a great top. And you are looking sleek. I hope you continue to enjoy your summer vacay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I definitely need to stock up on FOE and make some camis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great idea to use the selvedge as the bottom edge. This top looks very styley on you- and so does that gorgeous red dress last post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! And it looks like a fun project too - win, win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this little tank- a girl can't look too good while sweating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tank. I think the height of the neckline is a matter of personal preference. Ready to wear tanks I believe look lower but I really like yours. And I believe the height of the neckline creates a longer expanse of fabric which is slimming…It created a long slim rectangle while a lower neckline would create something closer to a square (less slimming). Not that you look like either a rectangle or square. Your little top is fantastic and you look great! So comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your gym top, and think it looks slimming! I love that you go all out with boogietone! I used to do Zumba a lot, and loved really getting into it. I totally relate to you on slow sewing. I can make easy projects last longer than they need to, but I do like that the finished product is often times more wonderful than if I had rushed. Enjoy your sewcation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your gym top! You have such an awesome figure, and like Vanessa mentioned this top is really slimming...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got a great fit on your tank Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stylish gym top -- looks too pretty to work out in! Your gym top puts me to shame -- I just wear old t-shirts and tank tops. I need to step it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slow sewing? I'll show you slow sewing. That fantastic top would take me weeks. Maybe months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
    gym tanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.