Monday, August 18, 2014

Vogue 8571 Red Dress Done!

Vogue 8571 DONE
So...let's recap.

I picked up the pattern at MPB Day 2013 last year
20140727_220914
and thought it would be fun to wear it to MPB Day this year.
I finished it 5 days after MPB Day 2014 occurred, oops!
Vogue 8571 DONE
I purchased this fabric in San Diego at a swap meet last November with Elizabeth.  It has crosswise and lengthwise stretch.  It is a stretchy and synthetic, the kind of fabric I love because it means little-to-no wrinkles!!

Yes, the color is the same as the pattern envelope, in a case of "let's make exactly the same dress as shown on the pattern cover"

Vogue 8571 DONE
I really love the gathers in the back and the front.

Vogue 8571 DONE
The mug shot

My usual work photog and my backup work photog were both out of the office on Friday, so I had to ask another coworker.  She picked this conifer as "it's a scary looking tree."

My boss said, "it looks more complicated than what you usually make."

If there was something I could angst over, I did. I started out with a 14 bodice but after my initial runthrough I recut it as an 8 in the shoulders and neckline to effectively bring it up an inch.  Previous posts showed how the bodice was overall too long.  but I think I should have scooped the armholes a bit. I cut the side seams as 12 initially, but honestly who knows what size they are now.  I really struggled with the fit and resewed the side seams many times.  The skirt had too much volume in the front but looked ok from the back.  I took a triangle shaped wedge out of the front side seams which reduced the skirt volume but now the back shows from the front.

I also took a 1.5" swayback adjustment out of the skirt, which was probably too much, I futzed with the gathering too much,  I undid and redid the side seams multiple times, even taking out serger stitches.   I had trouble with serger tension when I sewed the side seams.  The first time they looked great, but the second time I forgot the DF and it was a wavy mess, blah blah blah.

I did bind the armholes using Amanda's method  of using bias tape to finish and that worked out pretty well.  It's just that I should have scooped the armholes more after reducing the shoulder-to-pit length by an inch.


Vogue 8571 DONE
Jumping
Vogue 8571
On Izzy the day after I wore it
Vogue 8571
Inside out
Vogue 8571
My "signature"
Vogue 8571
Close-up of the gathers
Vogue 8571
Serged raw edge, then blind hemmed...you can see the texture of the fabric really well here.
Buddy and Izzy and Vogue 8571
My god-cat and Izzy.

Overall I love the dress and wonder why this one didn't catch on in the sewing blogger world when it was released in 2009.

I am on staycation now and have sewn 2 lace tanks for the gym and refashioned 2 shirts into one for the gym. I want to make this dress again in aqua blue and I'm hoping it will go faster next time....but I won't do it this week.  There are a few "easy" items I want to make....let's see how it goes!  I will be blogging them one-by-one for maximum reading pleasure.

Be well!

19 comments:

  1. I just love this color on you. So glad you decided to copy the pattern model color. One would never know all the problems listed that you went through in making this dress - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I love the dress on you! It's beautiful. All of your angst over fit paid off because it fits you beautifully. I love the texture of the fabric as well as the color. The gathered bodice is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it was a lot of heartache but boy is the final product worth it! Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, this dress is adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really looks great. I love the embroidery on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed! This dress, for all you had to do, fits you beautifully! It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and worth it in the end! As for the color, sometimes the pattern envelope really gets it right, so why not? Plus it's a great color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the color on you and the fuss to fit was successful. Love the signature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a major beauty there Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of that work was worth it! It looks awesome on you! Def make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a gorgeous style on you! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look great and you should trademark that color: "Kyle Red"

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has truly been a masterpiece for you and have been keeping up with all the progress. It really is gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely dress! You look fabulous in it!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay Kyle. A great dress to wear for future, wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's very cute. I hope the memory of the making problems fades with time! I like the colour on you a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kyle, the dress looks wonderful and all your hard work really paid off. The color is perfect for your own coloring and I also think blue would be pretty on you too. Now that you have done all the work, I'll pull out my copy and start soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.