Thanks to everyone for your comments on my last post about the Ups and Downs of Chevrons. I enjoyed them all and replied to each one. I especially loved Kossiwa's idea about trying out a sample on paper or with scraps--usually I make samples of everything first but this time I just dived right in, like any enthusiastic beginner!
Here it is with the pants from the same pattern. I love these pants and wear them SO much!
Back with the pants
Back with the skirt
With my gray Jalie shrug
My favorite pic of this outfit, even if it's not hanging straight at the bottom of the shirt.
Changes I made:
- Sleeveless and collarless
- Cut the armholes inward for a less boxy armhole shape
- Bound the arm and neckholes with strips of black ITY fabric. Originally I was going to bind with the black on the outside, but it was not turning out how I wanted to so I folded it over the binding to the inside and stitched down.
- Lengthened the shirt by a few inches
- cut the front straight across instead of with a curve
- Serged the raw edge of the hem and used a twin double needle to finish.
- Also I think I cut the 16 to begin with and then wound up at probably a 14 or maybe even a 12 with the side seams.
- No zipper, though it is a bit challenging to get it on and off.
I would like to make the shirt again, as intended, with a collar and sleeves, but probably not in a stripe. I have some textured fabric from Kashi that might be fun for experimentation. The collar definitely needs a stable fabric to look good, in my opinion. I had a version of this with a collar but it was way too floppy and blah looking.
Thanks to Tomasa, Anna Christina and ATP for their input as I sewed up this shirt!