Saturday, November 28, 2015

My Sewing Room Tour 2015

It's #bpsewvember on Instagram, and today's topic is Sewing Space.  That motivated me to clean up a bit yesterday, plus it was sunny yesterday and was forecast to be cloudy today (which it is).

So, I took these pix yesterday as the sun was starting to set.  Let's start in the middle-ish of the room and rotate counterclockwise....
20151127_155526
Might as well start with the cleanest part of the room in these pix, which is my cutting table.  It's an Ikea table with adjustable legs, at the highest point, 35".  Makes it really easy on my back for cutting.  Note, it is never this clean.
20151127_155358
Turning counterclockwise a bit more, the chest of drawers holds my thread, zippers, piping, bias tape, ribbons, etc.  That door leads to a bathroom.  My dressform is on the left side of the pic.
20151127_155326
Rotating counterclockwise a bit more.  My pressing station with my iron, tabletop ironing board, and Elna Press. (I never use a full size ironing board anymore now that I have my Elna Press.)  The table is an Ikea kitchen island.  Underneath are ham and seam roll, all my rulers, my modem/router, and a backup iron.  The door leads to the hallway.  That closet with the door closed....
20151127_155151
...is the closet on the right.    (I told you we'd start with the cleaner areas....)
The closet on the left is the fabric closet, sorted by type, not color.  My large wax tracing paper is in a garbage can.

The closet on the right has more fabric sorted by type, 2 of my 5 machines, my patterns, my traced patterns, muslins and candidates for "can this garment be saved?"

In between is a full length mirror on a little table.

I want to get the fabric into the fabric closet so that it's not on the floor.  Then I can close all the doors and it will look a lot neater.
20151127_155145
View from the corner with the chest of drawers.  (It was warm enough yesterday to have the window open, pretty unusual for this time of year.)  The natural light in this room is fantastic in the afternoon.
Inspiration pix are above the desk.
20151127_154849
The view from the hallway.
20151127_154944
2 of my sewing machine and my serger.   The Soprano has its extension table set up.
20151127_154919
Inspiration wall

My 2013 sewing room tour is here.

Hope you enjoyed the tour!!
Be well!

23 comments:

  1. I am so happy and honored to have taken a live tour of your sewing space. I love the abundance of light and coziness of the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun to have you here! I love the light in this room too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the room with us. It seems like a wonderful place to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I agree; it's a wonderful place to create. :)

      Delete
  3. It is such a great space! I'd be really worried (for me) and impressed (about you) if your cutting table was that clear, but really if you are producing stuff, then it can't be clear can it. I just reflected the other day that's the reason 'artists' have studios - so they can leave things in the middle of working on it without the need to pack it up. If my room was bigger maybe it would get all over the house :) (maybe...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I mean "maybe it wouldn't get all over the house" because as it is, it does get all over the house!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! I *try* to keep it confined to my sewing room but there is some fabric, cough cough, in the laundry closet.

      I love not having to pack up my stuff--since taking these photos I made the Lady Skater so the table is full of stuff right now. When I was a teenager sewing during the summers, I had to pack up before dad got home from work so we could have dinner on the dining room table! I must admit it never occurred to me to leave my sewing machine out on my desk in my bedroom!

      Delete
  4. I am glad to have taken a personal tour of your sewing room earlier this year. You have such a great sewing space - lucky you! Having so much natural light is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomasa! It was great to have you here! I really enjoy the natural light. Even if I'm just writing emails I like to be in that room in the afternoons because of the natural light.

      Delete
  5. I just cleaned off my cutting table and I thought to myself I should take a photo since it is never this clean! Love those Windows, it must be a lovely space to be sewing in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Take that photo! The windows are 3 feet wide by 5 feet long, so they let it tons of light. I really love it.

      Delete
  6. You have such beautiful natural light in your sewing space, and your set up is great. Now I am thinking how I should really tidy my sewing room....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kbenco! Go for it with the tidying up! Also happy to know you're still alive!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the cleaned up tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT? Cutting tables are EVER supposed to be clean? Couldn't find a clean one here--EVER! LOL What a great room you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLZ! I crack myself up because sometimes I just shove all the stuff to the end of the table, and when I finally clear off the table it will have remnants from 3 projects deep!

      Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your sewing space! I am inspired to clean up mine as well - as soon as I finish these ten projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! I know what you mean! If it wasn't for #bpsewvember, I doubt I would have cleaned it up that day.

      Delete
  10. Great space! In my dreams I have a room with doors on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trumbelina! I hope your dreams come true!

      Delete
  11. I found it interesting how your notes only focus on website..
    pirates of the caribbean 5

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.