Saturday, November 21, 2015

New Machine Added to My Fleet: Baby Lock Soprano

Me and my new Baby Lock Soprano
Like last year, my Dad generously offered to buy me a new machine as a combination birthday/Christmas present.
20151010_135726
My full intention was to get the Baby Lock Cover Stitch, but after thinking about how I would only use the cover stitch with knits, and would use a new, more powerful machine every.single.time I sewed....

I, ahem, found myself on Sunday morning of the ASE in Novi, MI at the Baby Lock booth, asking a saleswoman to show me a machine in Dad's price range without having done any research at all on sewing machines. (If you know me, you know how deeply unusual that behavior is!)  The saleswoman sat me down in front of the Soprano.  I responded, "Is this because I'm from New Jersey?"    The price was significantly reduced because it's a classroom model, and they would ship it to me for free (or I could have checked it with my luggage, but I declined!).
Me and my new Baby Lock Soprano
Honestly, it has many of the same features as my Brother Project Runway PC-420 that was only around $400 3 years ago, but its main outstanding feature, after sewing one costume and one dress, is its sheer power.  It sews through thick junctures pretty effortlessly, and it seems to purr while doing so.  I want to make jeans again and a jean jacket, and I'm pretty hopeful that it will handle denim easily.  Having the right tools for the job and all that.
20151121_190856
This is without the extension table.

It also has a ton of buttons, stitches, and like 9 different kinds of buttonholes.  It is also a large machine,  with a wider bed which will make sewing bags easier, and comes with an extension table which I have not set up yet.  Over Christmas vacation (I am taking the week between Christmas and New Year's off again, YES!)  I really want to do a reorg of my sewing room.  Right now there are 5 machines on my desk; I want to reduce the number to 3.  I also want to get all the fabric into the fabric closet.  A girl can dream!

Me and my new Baby Lock Soprano
Decent posture, but forward sloping shoulders, yo!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.  I can say that more than a year after serging with my Baby Lock Enlighten, it is a total dream machine and handles thick junctures like a hot knife through butter.  My old serger would have gone clunk-snap.  It threads itself and adjusts its own tension.  Love it!!

So thank you Dad for this new addition to my fleet of machines, and for driving over to the Fed Ex facility to pick it up and dragging it back to my place and up the stairs!
Be well!

36 comments:

  1. My family sort of knows I sew. They even sometimes read the blog. I am so happy you're happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! Awww about your family! My parents have always known about my sewing because I started around the age of 12.

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun to have a new machine. It makes things so much easier to have the right tools for the job. I am toying with a new machine too just need the time to look. Go the Christmas/New Year break!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer Flies, I totally agree about having the right tools for the job. I'm excited for Christmas break!!!

      Delete
  3. Lucky you, what an awesome gift! And 5 machines on your desk - is this the start of a terrible addiction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, I want 2 more machines: Cover Stitch and Sashiko and then I'm done. Ha ha ha ha ha. :) (actually I'm serious, but I'm laughing too.)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new addition to your family. I know you are going to have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty cool machine!! I'm loving the power that it has.

      Delete
  5. JACKPOT! Congrats on the new baby. I'm sure you are going to LOVE, love it! Your Dad is so good with picking gifts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dad sure picked a winner! :) I do love it!!

      Delete
  6. Congrats!!! I now have sewing machine envy even though I don't sew nearly as much as I should and I already have 2 sewing machines, 2 sergers and a coverstitch....SMH. Enjoy your new addition!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa R! There's always room for one more, right? :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Antoinette! It was a pretty awesome day!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your new sewing machine! I'm sure you will have great sewing adventures with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! It's pretty exciting! Now I have lots of new things to learn!

      Delete
  9. How much fun is it to have a new sewing machine! Lucky you and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! You hit a high note with your sewing gift - Sew-ahahahahahahah. Happy organizing : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comment James! Special Soprano!!

      Delete
  11. A soprano machine for the girl from Jersey. An automatic thread cutter is everything. Enjoy your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Soprano for the Jersey Girl. :)
      My Brother Project Runway machine has the auto thread cutter too, but the Soprano has a button for lifting and lowering the presser foot...and it can be programmed to lift the foot every time I stop sewing. :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome! Better than a new box of crayons! Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pencil Girl, I *love* this comment! Yes, better than a new box of crayons!!

      Delete
  13. So glad to hear how much you are enjoying your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect for a denim wardrobe and lots of handbags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm excited to try sewing with denim and also some handbags on this machine, to see how much it can withstand. :)

      Delete
  15. I'm really glad that you're enjoying the new Baby! I'm with Mary on wanting to see some more bags! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have an idea for my next bag in my head--stay tuned!

      Delete
  16. I am looking at this wonderful machine. What are your feelings on it almost a year later? Still in love with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice,
      I absolutely LOVE it!!! It is so powerful compared to my other sewing machines. It handles bag making REALLY well. I highly recommend it!!! It has some more features like the button to lift the presser foot up/down, tons of stitches (that I mainly don't use) and it has a big extension table that I love. But the main difference is the power, it really sews through my bags much more easily than my other machines.

      Delete
  17. Hi Kyle,
    Does your soprano make a loop with the bobbin thread with the first stitches?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know that how to use these apps. Can you give me some suggestion through by your post.Thanks.
    pirates of the caribbean 5

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.