Thursday, June 23, 2016

Deer and Doe Reglisse Dress

IMG_20160621_073553
When I saw Deepika wearing the Deer and Doe Reglisse Dress at PR weekend, I totally wanted her dress. Since I was pretty sure she wouldn't give me hers, I came home from PR weekend, bought the paper pattern from the Deer and Doe website and bought the fabric from Fabric.com.
IMG_20160621_095933
Does this random truck match my dress?
IMG_20160621_071624
Reglisse means "licorice" in French (and la robe is dress).

This is a pattern I never would have purchased based on the line drawing alone.  It looks too young for me and too sweet in this line drawing.
IMG_20160620_215628
The Fabric
This rayon fabric is Cotton and Steel Fruit Dots in the navy blue and red colorway.   The pattern calls for 3.25 yards of 60" wide fabric.  The fabric is 45" wide and I wound up buying 5 yards in 3 yard and 2 yard increments because I didn't realize when I first bought it that it wasn't 60" wide.  This proved to be a wise decision because I was able to use the actual fabric for my muslin of the bodice.  I have nothing in my stash quite like this rayon so it was great to use the real fabric for the muslin.

When I prewashed and dried a 4" square sample of this fabric, it frayed like crazy!!! So I serged the cut edges of the fabric when I prewashed and dried the real deal.  (I never dry my dresses in the dryer--I air dry instead--but occasionally something will slip through so best to have preshrunk the fabric).

Deepika's PR review mentioned that this fabric really picks up shine marks from the iron so I only used my Elna Press on a low setting with a press cloth and did not use any water.  No shine marks.

The muslin
I came back from my day trip to NYC on Friday night totally raring to go with the muslin!  So that night I cut out a straight 40 bodice as the 38 bodice would be too small for my bust.  I basted it all together and found, as Deepika did, that the neckline was way too deep. I also felt the neckline was also too wide and the armholes were too deep.
IMG_20160618_100643
Lots of chest on display

Saturday morning I made the adjustments to the pattern pieces.
Raised the neckline "point" 2.5 inches, added 1" to the neckline and shoulder yoke edges  grading to that point, and added 1" at the armhole.  Also I should note that Deer and Doe are drafted for a C cup and I am more of an A/B cup but I didn't try small bust adjusting it.  The blousey nature of this dress didn't make a difference.
IMG_20160619_213813
The back, the front, and the shoulder yoke.  The front and back are cut on the bias.

The dress
I cut a 40 in the waist and skirt as well (even though my waist and hips are more like the 42 on their chart) because the waistband, before adding elastic, is 36" and the skirt is incredibly full.

I made intensive effort to avoid a cherry on my bust apex.  :)

I did the burrito method on the shoulder yoke as per another PR review to make a clean finish and also to provide some more stability in this area.  (the shoulder yoke is gathered in front--a nice touch!)
IMG_20160618_154805
Do not do not do not try to go rogue and partially burrito the waistband as I did going for another really clean finish--I wound up undoing this because it means that 4 layers of fabric are on your waist plus the elastic.  I undid the waistband to unburrito it, and also wound up making wider seam allowances there so that the waistband would be closer to my actual waistline.
IMG_20160619_174123
Partially burritoed--do not do that!
IMG_20160619_184931
Unburritoed
Use the thinnest elastic you have--originally I put some thick stash elastic in there and the whole thing looked lumpy.  I took it out and used Pamela's elastic, which is thin, and cut it down to .75" wide (instead of the recommended 1") and the effect is much better.  I also left a bit of extra length in the elastic with the intent of letting out the elastic if it felt too tight or restrictive--I wound up tightening it so that it doesn't sag in the waist.

Knot vs bow
It is supposed to be worn in a bow but I am really more a knot person.

Piecing the skirt together

IMG_20160618_204707
IMG_20160620_215513
Inside out and pieced together.
The skirt is really wide (wider than 45") and I wound up having to piece the skirt together in the lower corners at the end.  That area is somewhat puckery from the outside and I wish I had redone it to please my perfectionist side.
IMG_20160619_160413
The hem
I had read Deepika's review that the dress is short and she lengthened 4".  When I held the pattern up to my body, I felt it didn't need 4", so I cut it out to the longest pattern length (size 46) which was only about 1.5" longer than the size 40 that I used for the rest of the pattern.  This wound up being exactly the perfect length for me so I used the rolled hem feature on my serger to hem it (to preserve length) and I think it looks really good, especially in this drapey rayon fabric!  I turned the DF down to .6 for most of the hem so that it would be flat and pressed with my Elna Press.


IMG_20160620_200143
Rolled hem on my serger

I finished most of the dress by Sunday night except the hem.  Hemmed it Monday night and wore it to work on Tuesday. Got lots of nice compliments.  It really is a fun and floaty dress to wear, and it's really effortless dressing.  The fabric feels so soft and smooth.  I just love it!
IMG_20160621_071920
Full skirt
IMG_20160621_072300
front
IMG_20160621_072716
Back after sitting in it briefly--the rayon wrinkles up
IMG_20160621_071926
Obligatory twirling shot
IMG_20160621_072714
Side
IMG_20160621_072408
Deepika was right; the bust darts are too high, but they didn't seem high in the muslin

Be well!

32 comments:

  1. Oh I love this adorable dress! You look fabulous in it and it fits you beautifully. Those red shoes are perfect with it. The alterations you made were just right. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just happened to have matching shoes. :)

      Delete
  2. It looks very flattering as well as comfortable. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nursebennett. It is very comfy to wear.

      Delete
  3. You look great in this dress! I love it-the narrow shoulder yokes, the sleeves that are just the right length, the collar that is not too wide, the waist line that is not too bulky, and the skirt with just the right flare! They all add up to a great look. I never thought of using thinner elastic at the waist. I will have to check out Pamela's elastic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like Pamela's Fantastic Elastic. It's really flat and then I cut it down to .75" (it is designed so that it can be cut to thinner widths).

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the print and it's a great dress. Much nicer on you than in the envelope picture, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like this version better than the pattern envelope/picture too!

      Delete
  5. Very cute Kyle. Love that swing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! Just about popped my left hip out with all the twirling, but it was worth it!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous dress! We have a cherry festival in Michigan every year. I think I need something from that lovely fabric.😍

      Delete
    2. Yes! Get some of this fabric before it sells out!!

      Delete
  7. It is cute.

    I just finished this dress up a week or so ago for a friend's wedding. I found the darts were high on it also. I didn't catch on Deepika's review that the darts are high. But last weekend, I adjusted my pattern for future uses and lowered an inch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that Deer and Doe are up-dating the Reglisse dress now. So future patterns will have better instructions, and finished garment measurements.

      Delete
    2. Cool, thanks sewbeading! The little instruction booklet was cute.

      Delete
  8. Very pretty! A perfect summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! It is the perfect summer dress.

      Delete
  9. You are obviously enjoying this lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally LOVE this style on you Kyle!! You did a superb job with sewing this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I don't usually wear such a full skirt so this was a new shape for me.

      Delete
  11. This is great Kyle! Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I want one too! This is super cute on you and very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! It would look great on you too!

      Delete
  13. Love this pairing of pattern and fabric ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--Deepika really matched the pattern and fabric well.

      Delete
  14. When I first caught a glimpse of the photo with the truck I thought, "I never imagined Kyle to drive a truck." Lol
    LOVE the dress! You did remind me of how much trouble I had with the bodice of the D&D Belladone dress. I actually took the bodice of a New Look dress with similar seams and darts then redid it to mimic the design lines of the Belladone. That was easier and faster than making actual alterations on the original pattern.
    I do love the Reglisse. I wonder if I love it enough to make extensive alterations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right--I don't drive a truck! I have a sporty Scion tC in an ice-blue color. It is getting old and I need to find a replacement but there is nothing else I want to drive.....

      Altering the Reglisse bodice wasn't so bad. I bought the Belladone because you were wearing it at PR weekend!

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.