Sunday, March 7, 2010

Grandmom Craft

Over here at the 'Lawn' it was "switching out the bookcases" day. In order to make room for the dressform I will order, I got rid of one bookcase. I actually swapped it out with the bookcase in the closet. For a while, the den was looking very "tornado just came through" but now it's put back together and the closet is much better organized. By next weekend my empty bookcase and loveseat should disappear, so I can then put my new cutting table together and start using it. How exciting is that?

Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my maternal grandmother's craft with you.
Here's a shadowbox I put together, of pins she crafted:
shadowboxof pins my grandmother made

I have always adored the ice skates. Always. I think they're very clever--the blades are paperclips! The skates are hand stitched around the edges, though the sequins are glued on. And I love the snowman too. The snowman is glued around the edges.

On the left of this photo are garters my grandmother made as wedding favors when my parents got married in 1964. She also made matching miniature ring pillows. She hand sewed the edges of the garter together, sewed on the ribbon, then tied the ribbon through a ring and around the lily of the valley. On the right are some festive Santa bowties? They have clips on the back.
left:  garter favors from my parents wedding.  right: Santa clip on bow ties

I have a few more things she made and will have to feature them from time to time. She was a cub scout den mother so I think a lot of her crafting was related to that.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. A week or so ago, I read a blog post about how "our generation" of crafters are so quick to point out that we aren't crafting like our grandmothers crafted. But I think it's cool to have a legacy of creation. How neat that you've come into such a collection of your grandmother's handcrafts.

    I can't wait to see your form! Hope you love it as much as I love mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.