Sunday, August 14, 2011

Butterick 5559 view B done, plus catsitting!

Thanks again for your wishes about my health, esp KID, MD!   I might very well take all the pix of my films and post them on flicker for your review!

Last night I started Butterick 5559 view B.  I spent most of today working on it and I think it's finished!
Butterick 5559

AmandaS also made this dress, but in winter white.   Check out her version here.


Here's the pattern envelope.  Instantly I could tell those sleeves would be too tight for my biceps.  So I made the sleeveless view B.
Butterick 5559


I used navy blue ponte roma knit from Joann's.  It's $12.99 a yard, the buttery soft stuff!

I sewed a 14 grading to a 16 at the hip.  It worked out.  Phew!

Instead of using the facings that are for view B, I used the neck facing for view A, then twin needle stitched the armholes.  I also twin needle stitched the hem.

This dress has a lot of tucks, and some tucks have darts underneath them.  I read reviews on Pattern Review that said to make sure to carefully trace the darts and tucks.  That is true; otherwise they won't line up on the side seams.

Here's my left side; they mostly line up.
Butterick 5559


And my right side; they line up except the top one under the armhole.  That's because I wound up taking a triangle out of  the armhole down to the bust (on both sides, actually).
Butterick 5559

Here' s the back.  This dress actually has a great opportunity for a swayback adjustment as the dress is actually cut as a top and bottom that's then sewn together.  So the horizontal seam is already there in the back for swayback adjustment.  However, by the time I remembered, I had already put the tuck in.   I didn't do a swayback adjustment and it doesn't look too bad.  I don't know, maybe I'll unpick it and fix it later.
Butterick 5559


on emma, front
Butterick 5559 front on Emma

on emma, back.  Actually I sewed down one tuck in the back almost all the way across to see what it would look like.  If you look carefully, you can see it.  I will unpick that.
Butterick 5559 back on Emma

But just as cool are the inside of the tucks, as I realized when I turned the dress inside out last night as I was working on it.   The tucks are supposed to be ironed down but they don't seem to stay down; if that annoys you, sewing the tucks to the inside is a neat effect:
Butterick 5559 in progress

I am catsitting chez moi.  Here's Viktor, also known as Buddy, or my fuzzy therapist: 
Butterick 5559

He has already perused my fabric stash:
perusing my fabric stash

and spent a lot of time looking out the window on this incredibly rainy day
looking at the great outdoors

touch my belly
having a bath

Inspecting the bathroom sink
the bathroom sink is fascinating

and then taking a nap, half on the ironing board and half on the cutting table.  Looks comfy!
this looks comfy

Be well and good night!

23 comments:

  1. Do you love that dress? Because you should. It looks wonderful on you. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress looks awesome! Great colour and great fit on you. Hope you have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing on you! congrats! fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is awesome on you and you did a fantastic job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoah, hot mama! What a dress! Really well done, and looks great on you. I love that photo of the cat pawing through your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that dress looks fabulous on you!
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Ponte Roma, I might have to check that stuff out next time they send a 50% off coupon.

    I'm sure the kitty is making you feel better. I feel that they have a calming influence, well, at least until they get near your paper pattern pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dress! You look awesome in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kyle the dress looks fantastic on you! The fitting changes you made are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time at your blog, LOVE the dress and it looks fantastic on you. I had to comment though because the cat half on the ironing board just cracked me up! Best wishes on your health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. You look great in this dress. You've done a fantastic job.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is an incredible dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great dress, you look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, beautiful dress on you and WHAT A CAT!! I have to pet that cat. I don't know how it will happen, but I have to pet him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dress is so stylish and chic, the tucks are beautifully figure flattering. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress style was made for you!! You really look amazing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That dress looks amazing on you and you look lovely in it. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this dress on you, Kyle! What a great job, and it suits you perfectly!

    Viktor is adorable -- and there's nothing like a fuzzy friend to speed the sewing along. I see he's prepping the work area already . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. FABULOUS DRESS! it looks wonderful on you.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great dress! The color and style are perfect for you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That dress looks amazing on you. Oh the sewing list just keeps on growing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent! The dress looks great. It's good to know that this dress is "swayback" friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! Love the color. I just cut this out last night and in the process of (trying to settle the kids) getting to it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.