Sunday, August 7, 2011
Jalie 2806: tulip sleeved goodness
Tonight I made Jalie 2806, the scoopneck top with the tulip sleeves.
Above is my attempt at a Jalie type pose, as per the pattern envelope, but with a Mary Nanna style belt.
Here's another pose attempt, without the belt:
I made size V with a decent knit fabric from Joann's. It's not the good stuff (the ponte roma knit), but still pretty good.
Hello swayback issues.
The thing that bothers me is those lines on the sleeve....see them? What is causing them?? How can I stop that from happening?? (other than never putting my arms down).
When my arms are down, the sleeve wrinkles are really pronounced.
I wonder if it's because I perhaps didn't carefully trace the tulip sleeve pattern piece, maybe, possibly:
Here's a closeup of the sleeve detail; of course I twin needle stitched the edges.
It took me 3.5 hours to make this shirt from trace to finish. Only I can turn something simple into such a long, drawn out project. One reason is I had issues with the neckband, but that was because I cut the notches at the neckline too deep so I couldn't use such a small SA as the Jalie patterns want...another was this:
After twin needle stitching the sleeve edges, the sleeve then gets sewn into the sleeve hole. (this is due to the neat tulip design. The sleeve has to be hemmed first). I left the "second spool" of thread on my extra thread holder on my machine, which is really a bobbin I wound. Well, somehow the thread from that bobbin wound up as above...
Thankfully I was able to take the side casing off and remove that thread, but I haven't been able to get the casing back into place. But it's good enough that I can sew. Yes.
So here are all the patterns I want to make before the summer is out, LOL. Let's see how many I actually do....
Farmer's Market flowers for this week; black eyed susans with mint!
Be well and good night!