Monday, September 3, 2012

New Look 6968 finally DONE just as summer ends

Just in time for the unofficial end of summer, New Look 6968 is finally DONE!

It was a struggle!!! This is my fourth, and final post about it.

I was first inspired to make the dress based on Kristy's version of it. Her post has pix of how cleverly the collar is constructed.

New Look 6968 done
But I had a hard time fitting the bodice and wound up doing princess-type seams.
New Look 6968 done
I had thought by now I would have made about 5 dresses but I only made 2 this summer (plus 3 skirts and 1 shirt).

NewLook 6968
I made view C, with the scarf collar but without sleeves (Well, note that on the pattern envelope, the model is labeled as wearing view C but that is actually view D).

Look at all those serged seams!  Some serged better than others...
New Look 6968 done
The back collar:
 New Look 6968 done
The front collar.  You can control the length of the scarf by wrapping it either looser or tighter through the hole.  (it wraps around twice)

New Look 6968 done
The back on my dressform:
New Look 6968 done
The front on my dressform:
New Look 6968 done
It's not the best dress I've ever made, and there's some funkiness in the back when it's on me, but it is DONE and now I can move on.
New Look 6968 done
New Look 6968 done
McCalls 6518 is next on my radar!!!

I took Thurs and Fri off from work, so no Princeton Farmers Market flower pix this week, but here is one of my mini-pumpkins!

pumpkin A.  21 days old. Getting really orange and has a really dark green stem!   photographed 8/30/12

This happened on Thurs, sigh.  Not a great start to my 5 day weekend.  My first car accident.  It wasn't my fault.  :(

:(
Be well!

10 comments:

  1. I love it on you, and you know, sometimes DONE is more important than perfect. Besides, only you will know the little imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it on you too! Done is good! The dress is lovely.
    Cute little pumpkin, too. And I love the way you took pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your accident - glad you weren't hurt. Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone will see you wearing a great looking dress so you've conquered this pattern. I was wondering where you were at with this dress.
    I'm glad it was just your car that got dented.
    Enjoy your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one will notice any little funkines about that dress. We are always very critical about our own work. So sorry about the accident-ouch! I'm glad you didn't have any repercussions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous dress! We are always so much more critical of our own creations. Sometimes I like to let things "rest" in the back of my closet for a season or two. When I get it out again I often can't remember what I was so upset about. Anyway, I will be using the scarf part of this pattern in the next few weeks to finish off a sheath dress that needs a little oomph at the neckline. Hopefully it will turn out as nicely as yours did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boo to the car accident!! But hooray to finishing your dress! It looks terrific! Will I see it in person in Novi?

    What ARE you planning on wearing? I hadn't thought about that until right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh I love that dress, can't wait till I have an occasion to wear it again! Yours looks great - a little bit of bagginess in the back but not so noticeable to anyone other than a fellow sewist I would think (we are own harshest critics).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job finishing up this dress. I really love the purple color and the fit looks wonderful. What a bummer on the car. Glad to see you are okay! Your pumpkin looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress looks beautiful on you and I really like it with the princess seams. I agree fitting bodice darts can sometimes be frustrating

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.