I'm still coming off the high that is MPB Day.... Thanks for your comments--it is really fun to read them!
I promise, this is the final post on B4789. I wanted to write a bit about the hems.
The pattern calls for narrow hems on the neckline and sleeves. I don't know who does narrow hems on knits (where you fold twice and stitch it down...) but it's not me. For the neckline, I folded it over 5/8" and stitched it down. Not elegant, not traditional, but it worked.
Hemming the sleeves was really tricky. Probably using a binding is the way to go. I folded it over but couldn't be consistent about it, as that armhole curve is very sharp. I decided to just fold it over the distance the fabric wanted to be folded over, and not worry about it. It's not like anyone is inspecting seams at my armpit.
Also, I love these sleeves--what are they officially called? They are actually just an extension of the shoulder seam and not sewn-in sleeves...any idea?
The dress was waaaay too long on me as a muslin--it was approaching mid-calf length.
cut 4" off the pattern pieces before cutting the real deal, and was really careful as I did so---but somehow
the front wound up shorter than the back. I basically pinned the hem
while the dress was on my dressform to try to get it to be even all the
way around. It is a little shorter in the front than in the back, but
not as significant as it was.
I used my stretch twin
needle for hemming. I feel like the stretch twin needle has been
getting a bad rap in the sewing community lately and am thinking of
writing a post entitled "In Defense of the Stretch Twin Needle". Anyone
interested?? It would also be an update of my 2010 post "Success with Twin Needle Stitching"
Overall I really liked the pattern and was glad to have finally made
it. Kathy's version on Spottedroo was the inspiration for me making
it--thanks Kathy! (I'm ultra impressed with your chevron matching!)
I finished the "More Knits" class on PR. Yay! Here's the project for that class (a mini-tank top to get practice using FOE). It's adorable and I want to make one me-sized. Highly recommend both of the knits classes on PR, and will write reviews of both classes before the week is out.
Here is my first female pumpkin flower of the season....it is budding up. I'm a little worried. The vines have been producing mad amounts of male flowers, but now that the female flower is gearing up, there are only two male buds left and they look like they are going to open days before the female. Hmmm...
The formatting of the arrows and the text got messed up here, but you get the idea!