Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wrapping up the Butterick 6072 Backpack Experience: Fabric and Structure

20150322_174033
Quite possibly, my favorite bag photo ever.
20150321_220800
Although I like this one too.
20150323_123245
Backpack in action on Tuesday--it is the right size to use as a purse.
20150323_123210

Previous posts about this bag:
Wonder Tape and Interior Zipper Pocket
Riri Zipper and Zipper Sandwich
Wonder Clips, Piping, and Zipper Feet
Straps, hardware, magnetic closures

Thank you for cheerleading me along!!!

I never wrote about the fabric and the stabilizing structure for Butterick 6072.

The exterior fabric is from Kashi (Metro Textiles) from PR Day 2014 and was just $2 a yard. I love love love the scale of the pattern.
20150322_171504
The interior graffiti fabric is from Gwen Couture in San Diego from May 2013. There's a pocket for a phone and another for a point and shoot camera.
20150320_212147
I embroidered a name label of course!  Above was in progress....I wound up stitching over it again before cutting it and sewing it into place.
20150322_171549
The NYC subway map fabric is from The City Quilter in Chelsea...it's kind of my signature now to always use it for interior zipper pockets.

I used Fashion Sewing Supply's medium fusible interfacing on both the exterior and interior fabric.

20150322_171320
But how does it keep its shape?  There is nothing in the bag above!

I discussed in an earlier post how I went rogue, ignored the pattern directions (which had you hand stitch the lining to the zipper tape at the very end) and used the zipper sandwich method of making the bag.

That means that eventually you get to a point where there is an opening in the lining that is unsewn and you pull the bag through that opening....
20150321_211227
to "birth the bag"
20150321_211324
so once it is turned right side out, you have the opening in the lining to stitch up --but before I closed it up, I inserted some peltex inside to give it some structure. The Peltex is just resting inside--it is not sewn in because it is a bit of a bear to sew a bag with peltex and piping and a lining and turn it right side out--I have done that before but this was an experiment.
20150321_220809

For the zipper I did sew Fashion Sewing Supply heavyweight interfacing into the zipper sandwich to help it keep its shape.  LOVE IT.

20150322_170508
Overall it fits in well with the other "city bags" I have made.

20150322_170940
Definitely a nice theme going on.
20150322_171034
Three of four bags uses the same lining--I only have scraps left, maybe enough for a zipper pouch?
20150322_172457
Izzy is overloaded.
20150324_080123
Be well!

32 comments:

  1. This is such a cute bag! Great stitching, Kyle!
    Do you think the bag would have as much structure if you hadn't used the Peltex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! It had some structure without the Peltex, and looked totally fine--more like a usual backpack without any stuff inside. But I love the structure of the Peltex. I forgot to mention, another plus of not sewing the Peltex in, is is it's easy to remove later if you don't like it!

      Delete
  2. The guts of this bag are so fun! It has such beautiful, perfect shape--I would've thought you used that fancy Bosal fusible foam. You have me thinking about the last bag I made and if it'd be possible to just wedge in the foam and sew up the tiny hole...that would be so much more preferable to all the thicknesses! Going rogue sometimes mega pays off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi E! I have never heard of Bosal fusible foam! I will have to look it up. Yes, just open up the lining a little, fold up the foam and insert it through the opening, then flatten it out. Totally works!

      Delete
  3. Love the term 'birth of the bag'. It's a great collection you've made Kyle. They're really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bag birthing is pretty exciting stuff! Thanks Maria!

      Delete
  4. Isn't it wonderful that a handmade piece can bring so much excitement and satisfaction? You will enjoy this bag for a very long time. I love the picture of the backpack on your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and I will! The backpack picture was one of those "take 2 or 3 pictures" kind of moments with a coworker in passing; I would have straightened out my coat if I had known. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow great job - I love the hidden subway fabric ! Thanks for the etsy link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that subway fabric too. You're welcome for the etsy link--enjoy the sliders!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! My experience making the Lotta Lady bag helped me feel confident going rogue with this one.

      Delete
  7. Wow! You've done an incredible job on your bags!!!! LOVE them all and the newest addition is just stunning!

    All that hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! It was definitely worth it!

      Delete
  8. That backpack is fabulous, Kyle! Well done. Now can you make me one just like it?! —Meg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the whole set!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW and still swooning. You did an Awesome Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila!! I feel like I've sewn to another level. :)

      Delete
  11. I love all your bags! The construction on the backpack is just perfection. And what stories each of those fabrics have. Izzy is one lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy is lucky, but feeling a bit naked.... :)

      Delete
  12. You are a master bag maker!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam!! It is quite satisfying to make a bag--and no fit issues!

      Delete
  13. You have quite a collection of beautiful bags you have made. I don't know what else to say about your backpack that hasn't already been said. Your backpack is awesome - AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every new bag is better than the last! You continue to out-do yourself, Kyle. Job well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bags, Kyle! Love everything about the backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great bag and workmanship ! I really like the size of it. I like the tip about putting the Peltex in later. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love itttt such a good job you did. i am goimg to make this backpack!!!! I want to customize it to make it a camera backpack!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.