Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Second PR Linda Top, in Teal and Knotted

PR Linda Top in Teal
I was really surprised to find myself caught with an affliction that has never happened to me before--the desire to sew a lot of new items to be worn at PR Weekend LA.  Symptoms include:  constant wardrobe planning, delaying mealtimes to "just finish this step" that turns into "sew everything but the hem", sewing at 6:30am, and a sewing room that looks like it's been ransacked.   In past years I have seen other PR members succumb to this affliction but this is my first case of it after a long run of 5 years.

I generally make a bag to bring to PR weekend. I sewed up this year's in March (here).
But the affliction really started with the success of the free for Members of PR Linda PR top in black (here).
Well, I "needed" some pants to wear with it.
Enter the MimiG pants (here and here).
Since I made two pairs of MimiGs, I also "needed" another shirt.

Hence, the reprise of the Linda PR top, but this time in teal and with shorter "ties" to make a knot instead of a bow.  Bonus is this fabric came from EmBe in LA in Nov 2013.  So it's about to make a homecoming.

You may recall from the last time I wrote about the Linda top, that I learned that the word "ruching" has no "o" in it; I thought it was "rouching".  Trumbelina suggested that I think of the spelling with "o" like it's the Canadian or British spelling of the word.  I like that idea (and your sense of humour!)

I made the ties 10.5" shorter by removing one "page" worth of the tie.
20150421_155916
Instead of untaping that page, I just folded it out.

PR Linda Top in Teal
I bound the armhole, then topstitched.  One of the armholes came out comically much larger than the other one, oops.  I think that's a side effect of continuous sewing.

PR Linda Top in Teal
By serging the raw edge of the binding, then folding over and topstitching, it looks nicely finished inside and out.  Even if there is the comically larger armhole.

The knot reminds me of French clothing, flight attendants, and Cub Scouts.  
PR Linda Top in Teal

I took the outdoor photos yesterday, after it had rained much of the day.  The lawn is basically clay so there is not much drainage.
PR Linda Top in Teal
Here I'm wishing I had a remote for taking pictures instead of mucking through the mud to reset the 10 second timer.
PR Linda Top in Teal
Here I'm sinking into the mud.
PR Linda Top in Teal
Help! Someone rescue me!!

I sewed one more item this morning.  And depending on my stamina, I might finish another item tonight.  But I really need to pack.  I think the only cure for the "sewing for PR Weekend" affliction is to get on the plane, which I'm doing tmw.

Be well!

19 comments:

  1. Very pretty color & nice job. Now I wish I had planned to go as its a hop,skip & jump to LA from Phx . Next time !!! Have fun & look forward to pictures .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely top on you and the colour (which I like but not on me) is really flattering on you. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun and you will wow everyone with your nice wardrobe. I am so close-I don't know why I didn't sign up. I think I am on overload with new experiences. I love the knot, rather than the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need a selfie stick!Z
    Your sewing room always looks too neat so I was happy to hear you succumbed to ransacked for a bit.
    Have fun on your sewing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great new top And have a wonderful time at PR weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that collat with a knot. Looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous top! Love the color and the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the color and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time! I just learned that Toque isnt' spelled touque! (knit cap to those of you who are unfamiliar with the term).Since it's already a distinctly Canadian word, I can't really use my "Canadian spelling excuse" :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Loved this post!

    Sew Kyle Sew!!! :) your outfits are very cute and ready to head to LA! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are rockin a nice new knit wardrobe Kyle.
    This top is a fab colour on you, win win!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the top! I hope to make one soon. Have a great time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so elegant, Kyle! You'll be so stylish for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! FYI I have some more ideas on how to make the band look more polished. I took some photos, will revise the instructions either today or after I come back from PR Weekend. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that top is so air-hostess-styley, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great top, the teal colour looks great on you. And nothing wrong with a bit of air hostess style - they are usually so polished and stylish

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this color on you. Hope you had a great time in LA!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.