Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sewaholic Thurlow Trousers DONE!


Sewaholic Thurlows!
This post is dedicated to gwensews, one of my biggest sewing cheerleaders.  I'd like to think that last Wednesday night, when I was so worried about cutting my pants on grain that I forgot all about nap, that Gwen was there telling me to turn the fabric around so that I actually cut out my cords with the nap.  Miss you Gwen!

You know that feeling, when relief floods your whole body?  That is what I'm feeling right now!  I'm just 6 work meetings, one meditation session, one therapeutic massage and one packing session away from the ASE.

The Sewaholic Thurlow trousers are DONE!

I had no idea that it was Scary September, but I unknowingly joined BeaJay in pledging to sew something that scared me--to make my first pair of trousers!    So woot to that!

Also a HUGE shout out to Angela Wolf who helped me fit these in her PR online class, Altering Pants. I'm going to see Angela at the ASE and can't wait to hear what she says. We went through many muslin iterations online.  Thanks Angela!

And another HUGE shout out to Lauren of Lladybird for her Thurlow Sewalong instructions. The pix nicely supplemented the Sewaholic instructions--I really appreciated it!

Sewaholic Thurlows!
It was 40F this morning which made for a fast photo shoot. Sewaholic Thurlows!
I wore them to work (it eventually warmed to 74F but was still fine in my chilly office). Sewaholic Thurlows!
General consensus at work is that they look "too big" especially in the thigh (with one of the cutest comments being that "Kyle is a person who thinks she is bigger than she is.")  I'm going to taper the side seams in and see if that makes a difference.  However, right now they are PERFECT for sitting down.

I'm not a fan of the jagged lines at the inseam, where you can see the back from the front, but they look better than they did in the muslin, that's for sure.  Dark fabric is your friend!

I was also surprised that you can see the back pocket bags from the outside--I mean the bottom edge of the back pocket bags.


Sewaholic Thurlows!


These are my first pair of trousers ever (and only my third pair of pants with a fly front zipper).  I think I'm kind of hooked on making pants now.  Or maybe I'm just a moth attracted to a flame.  Gertie's pants?  Simplicity Amazing Fit pants?  Sandra Betzina's Craftsy pants?  Bring 'em on!

I wound up wearing them to work with this top, which one of my coworkers said made me look French.
Sewaholic Thurlows!
I'm calling these my NYC pants.  Why?  The exterior is a midnight blue stretch Alice + Olivia corduroy from Mood that I bought with velosewer back in June during her NYC excursion.  I dithered over buying it but then went for it.  I felt there was little chance I'd find it again in Mood's vast corduroy selection during MPB Day.

The interior is a quilting cotton from The City Quilter in NYC that I first spied with Antoinette during her May NYC excursion. It's the NYC subway map!!

Sewaholic Thurlows!
I love how fun the quilting cotton makes these pants!
Sewaholic Thurlows!
They make me smile!
Sewaholic Thurlows!
A big shout out to my Brother Project Runway machine, which makes AMAZING buttonholes. Unplug the foot pedal, press a button, and it sews the buttonhole in ONE SHOT, flawlessly and quickly. Where have you been all my life???  I used fray check on it before slicing it open with an exacto knife.  Gorgeous buttonhole!
Mom says she doubts she'd ever be able to top that Christmas gift.
Sewaholic Thurlows!

Sewaholic Thurlows!

Other sewing bloggers have said that the fly extention is too wide. I had no idea what they are talking about before but now that I've sewn them up, they are right!  Like others have said, cut about 5/8" off the fly extentsion and you'll be fine. Luckily I had cut the right waistband extra long so I switched the left and right waistband (learned that in Jennifer Stern's jeans class--cut the waistband extra long and then cut off what you don't need after you've sewn them on. But the left waistband looked so long that I didn't cut it longer--should have!).  Anyhoo, that is why the pointy end is now on top and on the right instead of underneath and on the left.
Sewaholic Thurlows!

I wore them with my red clown shoes.  Love those shoes.
Sewaholic Thurlows!
Here's your oops shot of the day:
Sewaholic Thurlows!
More pix are in this loving album.
Relieved. Relieved, I tell you. Phew!
Be well!

28 comments:

  1. They do look a little big for you, but otherwise, they are fantastic!!!!! Yeah for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pants, The color is fabulous and I love the fun pocket lining surprise. I have been intimidated to try a pair of trousers but after seeing yours and checking out the links you provided I may give it a try. P.S. I have a Brother Project Runway machine and buttonholes are so easy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing more annoying that trousers that annoy you when you sit down. You've bravely made these and they look great with your stripe top.
    Love your red shoes too Kyle. Stay brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off congrats on sewing a pair of pants with such great details. Secondly, I do think they are a bit big, check out Burda 7447, they are very similar to the Thurlow but cut slimmer. Maybe you can combine the two patterns for you. I use the Thurlow from the knew down for a wide leg and the Burda for the knee up :) Have a great time at ASE. One more thing, I think Gwen was with you and I miss her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic job Kyle! They look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Congratulations. Well done. Your welt pockets look perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! Wish I was brave enough for courderoy! Love your coworkers comment about thinking your bigger than you are, that's a great compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fabulous for your first pair of trousers. Love the color and really love them with the striped top.

    They do look a bit big. May I offer a suggestion for an alteration that should take care of those diagonal wrinkles from the in the back leg? It will also take care of those wrinkles in the front inseam that are visible.


    It looks like you need more length in the ss.
    With the pants on mark where they hit you at the waist. Unzip the pants and pull the sides down (leaving them in place at the back and front waist) until the wrinkles relax. Mark the spot where the waistband hits after you pull them down. Measure the difference.

    If that takes care of the wrinkles you need to add a wedge to the front and back ss. Widest at the ss to nothing at the cf/cb. Do this below the zipper.

    If you still have the last muslin that exactly matches the pattern that you used for these you can try the wedge idea in that without having to do another full muslin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Trousers are a bit accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Perfect timing, too, with the weather cooling down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Votre pantalon s'est avéré une excellente!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for suffering in the cold so you could show us your new trousers! They do look big (also, I seem to recall that corduroys tend to make me look larger). And the red shoes--I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are fabo trousers. I haven't conquered the zip or button yet (necessities for said trousers). Digging those "underground shots" underneath so to speak. Love your embroidery too and WANT. THOSE. SHOES.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your Thurlows! Your subway quilting cotton is such a cute (secret) detail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go! Faced your fear and got a great pair of pants out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great trousers, you look so cute. and don't you love the front pockets on this pant, just the right angle to lay flat but be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These could not be your FIRST pair of trousers!! Stupendous work, and don't worry about the width through the thigh. Just make another pair and save these for a relaxed fit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go Kyle! Those welt pockets are perfect. Love the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Again, I am so hugely impressed. I like my pants nice and loose, so they look perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! The construction looks beautiful and the fit is not bad at all !:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Great! Congratulatios!
    My pants are still waiting for my better mood and more patience...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job on your trousers. They look so comfortable and the color is easy to match. I want to be hooked on making trousers too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the way you put in your name and date. I add a date when I make comforter covers but really wanted to do it on my daughters clothes, but never thought of it for my own. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    LolsGag.Com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.