Thursday, June 4, 2009

Japanese English

When I wrote about my heart touching router, Antoinette left this comment:
Sweeeet! Any chance the box was printed (and the copy written) in China or Japan? I lived in Japan as a child and always loved all of the just-missed-the-meaning translations that would get printed on their products. Funny stuff!

I love that she lived in Japan! How lucky!

I spent two weeks in Japan during July 2001. During my cleanout of the last two weekends, I have rediscovered quite a few "funny English" items I acquired during my visit.

9 days wonder: can't recall an important event in my life
Nine Days Wonder: can't recall an important event in my life t-shirt

DSC02993
Back of a shirt

DSC02994
front of same shirt; tags still attached; it was 980 yen (about 10 bucks)

Enjoy your summer vacation.  Best vacation ever.
Postcard.
Enjoy your summer vacation!
Best vacation ever!

DSC02999
Postcard.
Toothbrush: it's my daily magic rite!
Always near to me, making my teeth white and putting a smile on my face.
My magic brush!!


Hmmm..wonder what this says?
Postcard.
Wonder what this says...

I'll post more another time.

Which one is your favorite??

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the "Nine Days Wonder..." shirt should actually be read as "Can't recall nine days wonder: an important event in my life"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The toothbrush card is making me wonder if I take my toothbrush for granted. I never thought of it as a part of my daily magic rite, but maybe it is. ?

    I'm at my parents' and I bet they have some relics with fun sayings.... I'll let you know if I find anything worthy of pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read quite a lot about Japanese English, always get a kick out of it. My favorite is the rabbits even though I don't know what they're saying!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.