Sunday, October 17, 2010

New Look 6321: cherries sleep shirt

So yesterday I made the owl sleepshirt with all the gathers and the 3 inch cuffs, and today I made a very plain jane style long sleeved sleep shirt using New Look 6321. It's view E, but cut to t-shirt length, and I made it with longer sleeves. This cherry knit fabric is from Joann's. It's a 12 grading to 14. I've made a few nightgowns out of this pattern, but a while ago, pre-blogging.

I actually wear these sleepshirts under my flannel shirts. I've already turned on the heating. Oh, and I have a fire in the fireplace tonight, second of the season!
New Look 6321 view E-ish done

Instead of using the binding that came with the pattern, I cut a strip of fabric 1.75 inches wide (like the owl shirt) and sewed that on. I think this kind of binding is my new obsession (I continue to obsess with piping and double needle stitching--in fact, I double needle stitch all knit hems now, standard).

New Look 6321 view E-ish done

I had enough fabric left over to make a pair of underwear using Antoinette's fantastic and easy to understand "make your own undies" tutorial. I could make two pairs but I don't have enough of that black lingerie elastic. I never realized how much elastic was involved in underwear. It's a lot, a little over 2 yards for me. I bought the elastic 9 months ago or so at lucysfabrics.com but they don't sell it anymore. Have to find a new source for it.


cherry undies

I really had a long think about whether or not to post a picture of underwear, but then I got over myself. It's not like I'm modelling them or anything.

I'm taking tmw off from work and I'm trying to decide if I will sew or not. I'm reading a fantastic novel, You Lost Me There, and I might finish it tmw. It's the first novel I've read that is set with a science background (the main character is an Alzheimer's disease researcher at a university.) I also recommend How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else. It's a fast read and quite good.

Good night!

4 comments:

  1. I like binding made of self-fabric as well! I like both nightshirts you made, they look cute and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow cheerful knit tops to sleep in just welcome coziness. And a fire in the fireplace is icing on the cake. Wish it was cold enough to have one here! They both look great and I like the neck binding too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your nightshirts. Matching undies are fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of the strip of fabric for the neckline, too. However, the last two knit t-shirts I made for Louis were both refashioned, so I used the existing rib knit neckline with the same method. I love cherry prints! The undies look amazingly professional. You must be proud! And I think sewsassy.com has a pretty comprehensive all-things-lingerie-and-swim selection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.