Thursday, October 28, 2010

Simplicity 3628 day 6: done in time for the big day!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions for the birthday jacket. (I will try steaming the jacket later--and maybe when I write the SPR I'll include all the flaws!)

Finally it is done!!!
Simplicity 3628:

Simplicity 3628 done

Simplicity 3628 done

Here's a close up of those running stitches. They're not turquoise! I had acupuncture tonight and was telling Karen about the jacket, and she suggested brown running stitches to go with the brown buttons. I wasn't sure if I had brown embroidery floss or not, but turns out I do, so there you go:
Simplicity 3628 done

When I was at the ASE, Leslie in Austin was telling me about tiger tape to help with spacing running stitches. I made my own version as shown here, spaced 3/8. Wow, that was way easier than what I did this summer (initially eyeballing, then marking with tailor's chalk).
Simplicity 3628 done

I wish I had asked for tomorrow off from work. I'm kind of worn out from working all day and sewing for several hours at night for 4 nights in a row! Saturday I'm sleeping in and spending the day with my parents. Sunday I will be at home, maybe ordering a dress form! If you use a dress form, do you like yours and which do you recommend? I'm thinking of getting a professional form, but then it's not adjustable and wouldn't adjustable be more practical? I definitely want a form that I can pin fabric on it!

Good night!

8 comments:

  1. May I be the first to wish you "Happy Birthday!" today! and the jacket looks fabulous, hope you enjoy wearing it on your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Kyle! I hope you have a lovely day in your sweet new jacket. I might have sent you the info on my form -- actually shipped from NJ, now that I think of it --so message me offline if you need that info (again?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle, you still have such a great-looking jacket! I appreciate all the tips you share as well. Happy Birthday, again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! I like the contrast running stitches, and they are so neat and even!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a great looking jacket! You done a fantastic job. Love the running stitches.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to use brown again - Tim Gunn is a big fan of 'repetition" as a design imperative. Great looking jacket - hope you get lots of snuggly wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Kyle! Hope you had a lovely day, even though you had to work. The jacket looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Enjoy wearing that pretty jacket. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I'd love to hear from you!