Thursday, September 24, 2009

Favorite skirt; dress ideas

I love this skirt. I've had it for ages. Here's a closeup of the skirt:
Skirt that I wear in summer (that I didn't make)

I bought this eyelet fabric yesterday. I'm going to make a skirt out of it and line it with white fabric.

eyelet fabric that I bought yesterday

So for the wedding dress...I'm wearing red heeled sandals that I love. Wedding colors are red and white (though I don't think Pete's outfit will have any red in it at all).
I'm thinking of red piping--red sash--red details...no pouf, no train, no lace, only knee length. No veil. Probably wearing a white lei with it.

Here are some (mostly New Look) candidates.

I've been wanting to make the pink dress on the left for ages but am afraid the skirt is too full. I think the yellow dress on the right, while I love the top half of it, and has a midsection that could be red, also has a skirt that is too full.
I've been wanting to make the pink dress on the right for ages.

I've made these before. I like the skirt part of the dress. not too full, not too straight. Nice a-line.

I've made these before.

Liking the peach dress on the right (afraid the skirt is too full). Liking the dresses on the left too.

Liking the peach dress on the right (afraid the skirt is too full again)

Dress on the left looks awesome but neckline too wide. There's a few options on the right.
Dress on the left looks awesome but neckline too wide.

I made the short sleeved tunic on the left with round neckline. it was kind of a disaster but i think that was due to fabric choice. I like the hot pink dress on the right but am afraid the v-neck is too low. The light pink dress on the right has a cowl neck.
I made the short sleeved tunic on the left with round neckline

I made this dress with the v-neck 2 summers ago but hated it. I do like the idea of the sash (mine would be red). But the skirt was too full and 50's like for me.

I made this dress with the v-neck 2 summers ago  but hated it

4 comments:

  1. Except for NL6727 and the See & Sew pattern, all the rest are empire-waisted. What about sewing some muslins for the tops you're interested in (NL6799/ Mhilaryduff/ et al)? Once you've found the best bodice, you can attach it to the skirt part of the dresses you've already sewn and liked (NL6459/ NL6860)? Just one of many ideas.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW -- on NK6749 -- the burgundy dress that is The Dress on the pattern envelope -- I love this photo. NL always hooks me with these great photos. But every review I read on PR.com says beware the pattern. Also, the embroidered cotton in the first photo looks amazingly close to an Ann Taylor dress I bought at the thrift store for a recon. I should compare tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that we can find a way to incorporate some red into my outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see your favorite skirt and dress ideas!! I have seen pre-season fall sale at Lane Bryant... They provides great discounts on plus size outfits...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.