Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Oliver + S Heart Ornament times 10

Oliver + S Valentine Hearts
When some were done and others were in progress

I don't craft too often, but when I saw the Oliver + S heart tree on the Seasoned Homemaker blog, I had to craft.

This was back in early February, around the time I had sewed the red + white gingham flannel shirt and had some scrappy baps left over.

I got this crazy idea that it would fun to make 10 hearts, one for each member of my mindfulness meditation group, and distribute them to the group at the med before Valentine's Day.   After all, one of our teacher's most favorite sayings is, "What is the most loving thing you can do for yourself?"    Which, the night before our weekly meeting Valentine's week, turned out to be giving myself a break and not staying up late to get them all done.
Oliver + S hearts

I just finished the 11th one this week. For the longest time I had 9 of them done (and I had given one away to my work photographer).   So those 8 have been hanging on my wall in my sewing room.

Oliver + S hearts

I downloaded the free pattern here from the Oliver + S website.  There's a really cute family story there too about why Liesl likes hearts on trees.

Because I was going to make so many of them, I decided to cut a cardboard template.  But using the heart as a template meant I couldn't center my heart for cutting out.  I wound up using the leftover cardboard (with the heart cut out) as the template instead, instead of the cardboard heart itself!

Making Oliver + S heart ornaments

This was my first one, where I cut it out straight on and used a thick ribbon.

making Oliver + S Heart ornaments

Cutting it on the bias was MUCH cuter.  As was using thinner ribbon.
It mostly disappears but not completely because the gingham was not printed on grain.
Can you see the heart?

Then I realized, the lines need to match when right sides are together.  But again, there were issues with the printing of the fabric.
Oliver + S Valentine Hearts
Adorbs, right?
Oliver + S Valentine Hearts

I love this basket.
Oliver + S Valentine Hearts

It amazes me how differently they all turned out.
Oliver + S hearts
Like real life, no two hearts are the same.
Oliver + S hearts

Each is unique.
Oliver + S hearts
Some of the lines line up better than others.
Oliver + S hearts

Soooo....what is the most loving thing you can do for yourself?

Be well!!!


11 comments:

  1. Bless your heart(s)! I love the way they look hanging on your wall. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. A Mindfulness Group.
    I think that's what I need.
    I read a book recommended for achieving mindfulness in 8 weeks and got to the 4th week before I had to return it to my library.
    It was a very intriguing lesson of slowing down to let your mind empty and enjoy each aspect of your life. But then my day job hours increased again and I'll have to re-visit this subject.

    Love your hearts made from your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely hearts! The most loving thing I can do for myself is get the rest I need. I find if I am not physically moving, my mind is moving. Rest is good. Rest is needful, and I am learning to embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh you're a giving person Kyle.
    These are lovely and restful too.
    Be well xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda like little handmade stuffed animals. They all take on a little different personalities. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Kyle for posting this. This post helped in many, many ways.

    What is the most loving thing you can do for yourself (today)?

    Say, "It's okay."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the little hearts, and what a brilliant idea to use the outside part of the template so you could see the fabric underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The most loving thing I could do for myself was get caught up on your blog tonight! What a lovely set of gifts to give.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These gingham hearts are incredibly cute! Great job! Mindful meditation sounds interesting and something I'd like to check out. My most loving thing would be to remember to focus on the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I nominated you for a Liebster award! I hope you will participate. See my blog for more details.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.