Monday, May 4, 2015

Jalie 3246: Shrugalicious, in about 2 hours.

20150501_130618
If you've ever thought, "I made this sleeveless dress/shirt and need to cover my arms because it's cold outside/in my office but I do not want the added bulk of a bolero/cardigan/waterfall cardigan around my torso/waist/hips and I don't want buttons/snaps/closures and I only want to take 2 hours to make it" then this shrug for you!  Just the arms, ma'am, just the arms...and part of your back.  But not much else.  Which is exactly what I wanted.  Sign me up!
20150501_130630
Sleeves pushed up a bit.
20150501_130704
It think it's such a flattering shape.
20150501_130802
Sleeves completely down.  I cut about an inch and a half off the sleeves before blind hemming.

Dressform pix:

Jalie 3246 View B Shrug
front
Jalie 3246 View B Shrug
The back.  The main thing is before you attach the back band, make sure the back is going straight across.  This is your chance to "level it out" by cutting it straight across before attaching the band.
Jalie 3246 View B Shrug
The wrong side of the sleeve hem.  The sleeves are blind hemmed. Thank you to Leslie In Austin for telling me about blind hemming sweater knits. First I serge the raw edge and press up the hem, then I use the stretch blind hem stitch on my machine.  Then I press again with my Elna Press.
Jalie 3246 View B Shrug
So then it looks like the above on the right side.
Jalie 3246 View B Shrug
Inside out. I only basted the CB seam and used my serger on it and all the rest of the seams. Whee!

I also want to say "Trust in Jalie".  If your fabric is stretchier crosswise compared to lengthwise, then you will want to follow their cutting diagram.  Trust.   (If you do not Trust,  you will not be able to get the sleeves onto your arms if your fabric is not stretchy in both directions, particularly if it is not stretchy at all in one direction.  This will make sense after you've made your muslin not trusting in Jalie.  Ask me how I know.)

I made the size V which was perfect for my gray sweater knit with x crosswise stretch and y lengthwise stretch.  I bought this sweater knit during PR weekend 2014 in Austin.  I'm pretty sure it was from TexStyles.

I've worn this shrug practically every day since I sewed it and also have worn it upside down for a 30 minute stretch of PR weekend, enough to be photographed, sigh.

I will be making this again in many colors!  I had been looking for a gray shrug/cardi/bolero in RTW and could not find one.  Now I have my own.

Fun fact: I made this between 6:30 and 8:30am on Tuesday, April 21, in a mad rush to include it in my PR weekend LA wardrobe.    I had traced it and muslined it the night before.

The skirt is blogged here.
The shirt is RTW.
Be well!

15 comments:

  1. It was so cute in person, I have to make one! I can't wait to see how many more you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! And perfect for summer in office buildings lest you turn into an Eskimo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly Impossible Deadline sewing is the best!
    Love this bolero on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute. Love the entire ensemble and the shoe is the perfect complement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and the shrug are totally winning me over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the hemming tip. Love the shrug... and the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute & practical . Thanks for the hemming tip . I love that it would fit easily in your purse. Very nice job !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute! I definitely need one of those for Antarctica! (a.k.a my office building)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shrug is adorable. Love it! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upside down? :-) I like this very much and really enjoyed the background of these shots. Nice bolero on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute shrug and love the curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shrug Kyle. The whole outfit is a great look.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.