Saturday, August 1, 2009

Star Trek, Anyone (AKA Simplicity 3559 view B)

Simplicity 3559 view B in progress

For today's Sewing Saturday I decided to try Simplicity 3559, view B, a 60's retro pattern. It has a front center seam which I had planned on eliminating by cutting the pattern on the fold. But since it actually opens up into a V at the collar, I wasn't sure how to handle that. So I cut it with the seam down the front.

I hated it.

I thought the seaming, plus the color, and that funky little collar, makes it look costumey. Like it's a bad Star Trek knockoff for Halloween. I just need a fake triangular type patch and beam me up.

Pete said I look like "number 6" from Battlestar Galactica. I had to look that one up.

Simplicity 3559 view B in progress

I need a haircut. Love how my hair looks square in this pic (to show the side panels):
Simplicity 3559 view B in progress

That back neck is HIGH!
Simplicity 3559 view B in progress

Ideas to fix it:
  • Definitely not putting sleeves in--this pattern doesn't come with sleeve facings but I thought of something...
  • Already ripped out that ugly hem and will fix that too
  • I will taper the front seam from the waist out to minimal seam allowance as it's rather weirdy looking there in the side picture
  • I already ironed out that weird crease.

Thinking of adding buttons (they are actually a view B feature):
Simplicity 3559 view B in progress
Options:
white buttons with red flowers:
Simplicity 3559 view B in progress

Simplicity 3559 view B  in progress
Or red ones:
Simplicity 3559 view B  in progress

I thought about sewing red buttons all the way down the front seam, but that would be weird, right? Plus I don't have that many "same" buttons to sew all the way down the front.

Also thought about piping the front seam, but that also would be weird, right? Because then I'd have to pipe the other seams too.

After a one hour long walk tonight, I was itching to do more sewing, but I did not want to touch red Star Trek dress again today. I wanted to make something I knew I could make, that was a sure winner. So out came New Look 6443 for round two of the nightgown! I'm nearing completion of it, but I cut myself off from the sewing machine for the rest of tonight.

Piping is back, this time in brick red:
New Look 6443  view A version 2.0  in progress
New Look 6443  view A version 2.0 in progress
New Look 6443  view A version 2.0 in progress
New Look 6443  view A version 2.0 in progress

I am infinitely happier with the nightgown than the dress. But looking at the photos now, the dress isn't SO bad.

Which do you prefer? Star Trek dress with red buttons or white ones with flowers? Vote now!!

3 comments:

  1. I know you didn't give this option, but I'm voting no flowers. It looks very cheongsam to me with the buttons. I suggest a strip of lace around the waist -- it is so well defined with those french darts, and elegant -- so if you are taking write-ins for this election, I say a waist of lace. :)

    It's actually a very flattering dress shape for you, like I mentioned S3833 is great for you, too. Maybe, since the fit is so good with S3559, you might consider sewing it again in a fabric with a small pattern so those princess lines are camouflaged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a pic of a similar dress with buttons down the front seam, View A of McCall's 3133. If you use buttons at all, I think you should try slightly larger ones.

    The nightgown looks amazing! I'd actually wear that out. Did you make it out of a fabric that you could wear as a dress if you wanted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast of the white buttons, though it's hard to see what the flowers look like.

    Also, I agree with lsaspacey's comment that the nightgown looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.