Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday in Austin

A lovely day in Austin!

First, brunch with "Leslie in Austin" and clever girl Antoinette and her son at Kerbey Lane Cafe, then a stop at The Common Thread, an independent fabric shop frequented by Leslie and Antoinette. We all came away with a little something--I found a favorite of mine, turquoise double knit fabric, and twin stretch needles which I adore. Leslie will soon be making wool pants from a gorgeous piece of wool she found, and Antoinette is making a lunchbox for her son.

Leslie, me, and Antoinette at The Common Thread, Austin, TX

Here is Jeanie, the owner of The Common Thread, with a gorgeous child's dress she is working on
Jeanie, owner of the Common Thread in Austin, TX with a beautiful dress she's working on

I highly recommend this shop for their selection of diverse fabrics and interesting notions, like bias tape that is light AND dark green all-in-one.  I've never seen anything like it.

Thanks ladies for a fun morning!

We hightailed it back to the hotel just in time for my work conference to begin at 1.  At the opening reception later that night I learned that two of my colleagues at other schools are also sewists and have read reviews on PR.  I asked if the dress that one of them wore last year during a talk she gave was one that she made (very striking with red polka dots), and she said yes, it was made from that Vogue knit wrap dress pattern that everyone's reviewed on PR.  I've made that dress twice and reviewed it on PR.  We talked about our machines, too.  How neat to meet fellow sewists at a work conference. 


Tomorrow I am speaking on two panels and leading a third.  Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I do wish you luck and so nice for you to be able to meet blogfriends in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun day! It was great hanging with you both, and I hope you got back to register and settle into your conference without being late. Good luck with your panels today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! And thank you for your sweet comments about Scrappycat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe... looks like tons of fun! Jeanie is awesome and I love The Common Thread! Sounds like you're having an awesome time! Hope your panels went well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am so pleased to have found your blog. Thanks for directing me to your tips on double stitching. It's always nice to have new ideas on how to tweak things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous that you're in Austin! I went to law school there and still miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your week is going well. Work conferences with lots of time for fun (especially sewing fun) are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.