Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cacti: they're surrounding me!

Still no sewing--but I have highlights from Tucson!

So, I was at the University of Arizona for a work trip.
Here's a prickly pear cactus at U of A:
University of Arizona
Saguaros in U of A's Cactus Garden:
University of Arizona
Decorative cacti:
University of Arizona
There was a paved trail next to the hotel that is alongside the dry river bed that fills up when the monsoons happen in the summer. It was totally dry the entire time I was there. 40's at night but 70's in the day. Perfect.
trail next to the Windmill hotel
Good night, sun!
trail next to the Windmill hotel
Friday afternoon we were set free. A colleague of mine and I went to Sabino Canyon in his convertible.

A tram ride takes you into into the heart of the canyon. Ours was narrated by a guy who loves his job. It was a riot, and a good way to draw a line under the work for the week and mark the fun part of the trip.

I don't remember what this tree is called; but it is outnumbered by cacti:
Sabino Canyon
I love this to demonstrate just how many cacti there were:
Sabino Canyon
We disembarked at tram stop 9, I believe, and started our little hike up the canyon:
Sabino Canyon
Looking into the canyon:
Sabino Canyon
Look at how blue the sky was!
Sabino Canyon
Sabino Canyon
Unsuccessful at pushing this boulder over:
me at Sabino Canyon
My hiking companion Ron and moi:
Sabino Canyon
getting an idea of the vastness of this place:
Sabino Canyon
Dinner that night was at Cafe Posa Cosa, at Meg's sister's recommendation. It was not your typical Mexican; very cool.
dinner at Cafe Poca Cosa
The next morning I said goodbye to Ron and his convertible and hello to a Yaris.

First I went back to Ghini's French Cafe, for some crepes and eggs. YUM.
Before:
breakfast at Ghini's French cafe (before)
After:
breakfast at Ghini's French cafe (after)
Then I hit the road and drove to Saguaro National Park East:
Saguaro National Park East
Pretty amazing, right???
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
I hiked the Loma Verde Loop, a 3.4 mile trail, by myself. I can't say that was a smart thing to do, but I made it back in one piece.

This was taken on the Pink Trail Spur, ~60 feet elevation. That strip of shade was all the shade that was out there.
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop, Pink Hill Trail Spur
Pretty amazing view.
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop, Pink Hill Trail Spur
Cactus close up:
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop, Pink Hill Trail Spur
And even closer:
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
And closer still (different cacti):
 detail of cactus spines, Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
So many cacti:
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
When they die:
DSC080Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop68
Sometimes cacti look like people (or maybe Gumby):
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
I was surprised by the life in the desert. I saw (and heard) birds, flies, kangaroo rats (which looked like chipmunks to me, scurrying across the road) and even encountered two women on two horses while on the trail. Also, this bee made friends with me:
killer bee on my hand, Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
Did I mention, so many cacti?
Saguaro National Park East
Saguaro National Park East, Loma Verde Loop
I hope to sew next weekend. Maybe even cut something out during the week. Maybe. Be well and good night!

5 comments:

  1. Great photos. I love cacti - they are weird plants that always look as though they are going to get up and walk (or crawl) away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip Kyle!

    P.S: I'm registered for NY PR! Looking forward to spending some time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! You are making me miss the West.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those cacti are amazing! Seeing funny & unusual plants like those remind me that there is an Intelligent Designer with a sense of humor. :-)

    I have to tell you Kyle that because of you, I introduced myself to "Suede" at this last weekend's Sew Expo in Wash. State. I even asked him to autograph my copy of his newest dress pattern (New Look 6092) - only because I saw you do it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    I miss watching your sewing projects come together, so I hope you're back home sewing again soon. :-)

    Carriekaye

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip, I've been following it on twitter :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.