Monday, August 11, 2014

MPB Day 2014 Recap: A celebration of all things Peter Lappin

mpb-day-2014
I. love. this. photo!  I stole it from Suzanne's Instagram--thank you Beau Baby!

This was my third MPB Day.   It was the largest and the most man-filled MPB Day ever, as Peter pointed out in his recap.

I had a rough night the night before and felt terrible when I woke up.  I thought about skipping the event entirely, but then I read a comment on my Friday night post from Mae who said she's in Australia and wished she could go.  So I dragged myself out of bed and went partly for her, a woman I've never met from a place I've never been, because I could go if I just got over myself.  And I'm so glad I did!

I wore Vogue 1351 that I made last summer (since I didn't finish my MPB Day dress on time) and carried this bag I made last November.

I did a little pre-MPB Day shopping at the City Quilter, then joined the group at the FIT Museum where we saw "Exposed", an exhibit about the history of lingerie.  There I ran into Tomasa, aka TJSews on PR.  I hadn't seen her since PR Weekend NYC 2012, and it was great to spend the day with her!

We all ate lunch at Panera, where Kathy of spottedroo joined us with her newborn and her sister.  I'm sorry we didn't get to talk more or get a picture, as I've read her blog a very long time and enjoyed it so much!  And I met Enrique of Enrique Sews.  What a talented guy--sewing his own dress shirts and skinny ties at night after he spends his days working on cars.  I also met Paula of Getting Things Sewn--she was the woman with the index cards with her fabric swatches in Peter's recap!!  We dumped, I mean swapped, our unwanted patterns right there on the second floor of Panera.  I brought my friend's unwanted patterns and took none....win!  (well, maybe "win for me" as I'm guessing poor Michael had to drag the remainder home.)

DSC04287
Me with the King of Sewing Blogs, Mr. MPB himself
DSC04290
Crowding around Mr MPB post-Panera, to give directions for the afternoon
DSC04300
Tomasa and me with the garment worker. Tomasa just posted her first blog post, on why she sews. Great topic--I might have to cover that in a blog post of my own as it's a topic I struggle with every time I have trouble fitting.
DSC04298
My chunky metal zipper, cut to 60cm for the Maria Denmark Lotta Bag, descends from the second floor at Pacific Trim
Zipper!
Reach for the zipper! Reach!  Pacific Trimming is my favorite store on the planet, but the lack of a/c makes for a brief visit in the summer.
DSC04297
The scene at Paron, everything was 40% off and I wanted it all but showed shocking restraint. If you are a long time reader of my blog, you know that buying only 2 pieces of fabric *is* shocking restraint.
DSC04291
Tomasa only bought one piece of fabric, this green Irish Linen at Paron's she saw on a prior trip.
DSC04293
Loved this description!!
DSC04295
I know, I know, more blue non-wrinkly non-natural fiber fabric was purchased! But it wasn't a ponte knit and it has amazing drape.

Anyway, Tomasa and I hit up Paron (twice, I had to go back for a second piece of fabric), Pacific Trimming, Daytona Trim, SIL Thread, and, um, was that it?  We also tried to find my favorite chocolate shop near Bryant Park but it was gone!  I didn't go to Mood this trip but heard that Tim Gunn had been there that day.    Rats!  We finished off the day at Bryant Park, where more peeps than ever from the original morning group met up to show off purchases and recount the day.  Peter is correct; stamina is increasing with every MPB Day.



DSC04317
My purchases.  The green tag had my shopping list and swatches of stretch lace, for color matching FOE.


DSC04319
I'm going to make a denim jacket and these compass shank buttons from Pacific Trimming are perfect.  I didn't want the boring star ones...


DSC04321
Black tailoring wax (which looks gigantic without scale) and square snaps that I have been coveting since PR Weekend 2012 from Daytona Trim.

DSC04323
I wonder what musical this is from...I guess I could google it...Peter gave us a list of stores on the back of sheet music.  The lyrics on mine start out innocent but become a bit risque....

Thank you Peter for getting the sewing community together in this way every year!  and thank you for all your sewing inspiration all year long!

Be well!

15 comments:

  1. So glad you could make it again this year, Kyle -- great seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you went Kyle. What a great day out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! What a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh looks like such fun! It must have been hilarious hanging out with so many sewing bloggers in one place

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle, I'm glad you came and that we met. You really captured the spirit of MPB Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first photo looks like it's an advertisement from "MPB - The Musical".

    Especially with the musical score!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I followed many of the links to fantastic blogs. I am looking forward to seeing what is in store for your blue fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'm going to make every effort to attend MPB day next year. BTW are you coming to Michigan for the Sewing Expo in September?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun, fun, fun! I'm glad you pushed through and went. You look like you had a super time, and got a lot of great things (even with your restraint).

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so difficult not to have just a ting of jealousy when I see people attend these get togethers, but I am so very glad that a good time was had by all

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Next year, this is happening. I know it!

    Looks like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like a fabulous day! And two fabrics at Paron is *very* restrained. Gold star.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kyle:) heres my post on mpb day hope you like it.

    http://enriquesews.blogspot.com/2014/08/mpd-day-with-peter-lappin-my-dream-come.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun fun fun!!!!! Now I'm getting excited about Paron's!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.