Saturday, July 26, 2014

New Look 6843 view B-ish in black eyelet

New Look 6843 view C

My life is somewhat stabilizing after the big software release on 7/1.  I feel like everyone needs something from me at work, and some days I'm getting over 100 emails, and I still have a boatload of documentation to write and data cleanup to do and I have office hours/support labs.  However, I'm no longer working weekends (though I am tempted to put 2 totally uninterrupted hours from home this weekend, just to get a leg up).  I'm back to the gym 3x a week.  I'm reading books again.   (10% Happier (non-fiction, meditation) and All Fall Down (Jennifer Weiner's latest).)  I'm working less nights.    And I sewed a whole entire skirt last weekend!

New Look 6843 view C
I have sewn view D/E from New Look 6843 many times before. That's the A-line version.  I love love love how the skirt sits at the waist!  It is *so* difficult to find skirt patterns that sit at the waist, which is the most flattering look for me and my pear shape.

New Look 6843 view C
Apparently I sewed view B/C once before in 2006 (as per my envelope notes) but who knows what skirt that was.  I pulled out the pattern last weekend and made view B, minus the slit, and with the zipper on the side, and the CB cut on the fold because I used this fabulous 100% cotton black eyelet that I've had in my stash a long time, from Joann's.  It was in their remnant bin years ago, and wasn't quite 1.25 yards.  Usually all their remnants are under a yard but this one wasn't.     I decided to go with more of a pencil shape because the eyelet runs straight up and down the fabric. It seemed like the pencil shape would "go better" with this fabric.

I decided to use bias tape (also from stash) for the waistband and for the hem.  Basically folding the fabric in half meant that my skirt length was about 1.25 inches above the cut line for view B.
New Look 6843 view C

I lined it with black fabric that feels like rayon challis--but I remember buying it from Rag Shop (RIP) when I was a college student, probably summer of 1996 or '97.  It feels fabulous!
New Look 6843 view C
I noticed on Carolyn's blog, one of her interior skirt shots, instead of sewing a dart she sewed in a pleat in the lining instead, which makes a lot of sense. So that is what I did here too.

bias hem exterior, narrow hem on lining interior
Here I've flipped up the hems to show what it looks like inside. I used my narrow hem foot to hem the lining (on the right) and think it looks great!  (though the basting stitch for the bias tape doesn't look so great--I suppose I could remove the basting stitch but it only shows from the wrong side and probably is providing some stability...)

20140724_081327
Because it is 100% cotton, and I had driven to work wearing the skirt, it is already wrinkled for the ivy shots.
20140724_081305
My work photographer calls these "mug shots"
20140724_081314

Could you identify me in a lineup?


sweet william
Sweet William from the Princeton Farmers Market

Be well!!

12 comments:

  1. Nice looking skirt Kyle, and I love Sweet William.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your eyelet skirt. Just the think for a hot summer day. Lovely! The flowers certainly are pretty…they also remind me of bow tie pasta lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are getting to do some of the things you love and not having to work 24/7. Cute, cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I like the bias bound waistline and hemline - looks very RTW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!!!! I am glad your schedule is settling down. Your skirt is awesome, I love the eyelet in black. It keeps it classy, without being too girl-y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't give in to those 2 hours of uninterrupted work time at home.
    That's a bad road to go down - it just escalates from there.

    sew more instead.
    Fab skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the skirt! How are you liking 10% Happier? I can't find your comment where you talked about meditating - can you tell me again about how you meditate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great skirt. You look happy. I'm so glad life is becoming more your time than office time. Enjoy your summer Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous job, Kyle, I am so happy things are becoming calmer so you can sew again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great and your detail work is very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.