Saturday, October 16, 2010

Simplicity 2971-ish: Who gives a hoot?

Simplicity 2971-ish, view A-ish, done

So I had made this pattern before, back in Sept 2008. Today I broke it out for a nightshirt I wanted to make with some owl fabric I picked up at Joann's.

I did not put the elastic in at the bottom; I did not keep the sleeves as full as they were; I lengthened the sleeve; I made the 10 instead of the 12 this time.

Somehow when I lengthened the sleeves to make long sleeves, I didn't lengthen them enough. After initially deciding to use piping and add a regular cuff and failing because the knit fabric stretched out too much, I wound up making 3 inch cuffs, gathering the end of the sleeve to fit in my new cuff. That worked out very nicely. Thank goodness too, because I was feeling frustrated!

Simplicity 2971-ish, view A-ish, done

In order to take that picture above, my hand is actually holding up the sleeve (the shirt is on my dressform) and so it creates a very weird looking effect! as if the sleeve is still too short (it's not).

Here's a closeup of the binding. I feel that I have this particular type of binding down pat now. In this shirt, the entire neckline is gathered, all the way around. I used to shortcut gathering by only doing one row of basting. Now I do two rows of basting and it works out really well.
Simplicity 2971-ish, view A-ish, done

Simplicity 2971-ish, view A-ish, done

I know I said I would work on a jacket this weekend, and by the quantity of uncut corduroy I bought at Joann's this week, I should, but I think I'm going to make another sleepshirt tomorrow; this one is more basic, no gathers, no funky sleeves. Just a bread and butter raglan sleeve pattern.

Here's the Princeton Farmer's Market flowers for this week:
Princeton Farmer's Market flowers

Good night!


Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.