Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Simplicity 1314: What would you do??? Vote now!

This is the closest I will ever get to making my own "textile"...
20140910_221629

I want to make this dress in time for the ASE...Simplicity 1314
20140910_222932
For that "contrast" center front panel, instead of leather or faux leather I wanted to use a quilted fabric.  I got the idea from Suzanne, who used quilted sweatshirt fabric for the center panel of one of her two dresses.

But I don't have time to go find/buy quilted fabric and matching fabric for the non-center front panel.
And using stash fabric is a GREAT thing.
So I whipped up those samples above.

Question 1:  What do you think is better?The 1" or the 1/2" scale (I think 1/2")

Question 2:  Should I make it in turquoise or in black?  
(the whole dress would be made out of the same fabric, it's just that I would quilt the center front panel as in the first pic above. Should the whole dress be black, or should the whole dress be turquoise?)

Vote now!!!
(p.s. I loved your comments from my last post--I swear I will reply to them in the next 24 hours. Or maybe even right now!). Update: I replied to all your comments in the last post--thank you for them.

Be well!

23 comments:

  1. I definitely like the 1/2" scale, and would go for black. How cool! I love your inspiration, what a clever idea! It is sure to dress up the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 1/2" one. What a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the 1/2" scale. Go for turquoise. I think it'll be easier to see the quilted panel in the lighter color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely half inch and black. I do a lot of uniting of small pieces of fabric or bags I make. Are you prepared for the time at the machine to do all this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the 1/2". I think black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half inch and definitely go with the turquoise so that it will match your blog and promote your "brand"! " ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1/2" and the black are my choices. Great idea, cannot wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1/2" and my vote is for turquoise if you don't have a LBD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1/2 " and either of the colors but not mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would go with the 1/2" as well and Black, I would suggest to put a piece of flannel between the layers instead of batting so that your contrast will not be as stiff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1/2" and I think you would suit turquoise and it would show up the quilting well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1/2" and turquoise on turquoise or black on black. I was considering turquoise on black and the I shied away from this idea. Flannel as the inside piece would soften this look - as Patricia mentioned earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1/2" and turquoise!!!! You wear color so well. There's always time got black dresses! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lone woman out. 1" squares.
    Because of the scale of the dress.
    More importantly - how does sample wash up?
    Then make your decision.
    Turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1/2" and gosh it would be awesome in either! I guess it comes down to whether you need an LBD or would like a pop of color in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1/2 squares and turquoise. Much as I like black, the quilting (and your hard work) won't show as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Turquoise, and the bigger squares. Because, well, TURQUOISE!!!! and less labor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1/2" in either color. WASH the quilted fabric before you cut the dress pieces. It will get smaller. As suggested use flannel for a softer look. It will also be thinner looking on than batting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1/2" AND mixed. I made a black dress with a turquoise center panel (S2648) and love it.

    Wait, what fabric are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1/2 inch and turquoise! The turquoise is such a fun color and would showcase the quilting more. You already have a LBD don't you? Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the 1/2 inch and even though I love turquoise, I think it would look really tough in black.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm undecided. Uh, really helpful, eh? lol ... I think it will look awesome with whatever combo you choose and I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OHMYGOD< how is quilting the entire panel less work than buying fabric??? I like the smaller square, though it's obviously more work for you....I also like both colors. Either one will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.