Sunday, September 21, 2014

Simplicity 1314 still in progress.


Simplicity 1314 in progress
Your eyes want to focus on a X, not the diamond in the middle, right?
Simplicity 1314 in progress
So I had this fantasy that I would wear Simplicity 1314 to the Simplicity Fashion Show at the ASE later this week.

I'm going to release myself from this fantasy (and wear NL 6071 which I finished up last weekend but haven't blogged yet).

I quilted the bottom front panel this afternoon.   I sewed it back together.  I am having trouble with the pivot corners.  To get the pattern to match at the horizontal front panel seam line, it's thrown off the SA a little. It's not 5/8" on each side of that horizontal line.   Though to be fair, those diagonal lines have been there always, even in my muslin, which I wrote off as not knowing what I was doing with the pivot corners, I'd figure it out later and it would magically resolve itself, as if a fitting issue ever magically resolved itself, bwah ha ha ha ha.

Simplicity 1314 in progress
Later is now.  I looked again at Suzanne's corners on her cream dress--they are perfect, so it can be done.  So I finally sewed the paper pattern (just around that area, notches to dot to notches)  to figure out what I'm really supposed to do with those pivot corners.
Simplicity 1314 in progress
And that looks ok.  But that's with everything at 5/8".

Soooo....I'm very tempted to do this (extend the waistline seam all the way across...on the inside of course and actually straight and not wavy)
Simplicity 1314 in progress
because that would take care of the wrinkling.

Or something.

It's my own fault for being too ambitious, thinking I could cut it out and quilt the front and make the dress and serge the insides and bind the raw edges and hem it in a weekend.  and and and and and. Maybe instead of quilting the bottom panel I should have spent the time on the corners and the fitting issues so that I'd be further along and less frustrated.

Hmmmmm.....
simplicity 1314 in progress
Wrinkles wrinkles wrinkles.
Simplicity 1314
I think this is why I have shied away from making dresses in light colors in the past--because all the wrinkles are amplified. But the NL 6071 I finished up last weekend is turquoise too....so I know I can do it.

Be well!



18 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have taken a second look at this dress in the pattern, but am totally loving it. Pivot/ square seams are nearly impossible to get right. Have you tried seaming the front top to the front bottom first, and then treating it as one panel when joining the side panels? This might help avoid the square corners. Still have the easing of the princess seam, but that's always been a little easier for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, happy you are loving it! I did seam it that way, but I think I have to be more careful with the pivot point.

      Delete
  2. I love that you made your own fabric by quilting it . Love the color - good look with the fitting issues . I think it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really great! I also like the quiltiing.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! I am liking the quilting too!

      Delete
  4. This is where your skill at detail may be your enemy...the dress looks wonderful and I'd do the fix that is the least intrusive to the work already done. Remember you are going to move in the dress and so wrinkles will happen anyway. :-) I sometimes hand baste corners like that but I have never done a corner with quilting! Beautiful work~mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hand basting is a great idea!!! Thank you for your kind words!!!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Mary! Don't be hard on yourself (I am sooo preaching to the choir here), the dress looks great now, and you are heading in the right direction. It was good of you to release yourself from getting it done in time for ASE. I know the dress will be stunning when you get it tweaked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I'm thinking of bringing it with me to the ASE to show the Simplicity folks where it is headed!

      Delete
  6. I think teal/blue color looks great on you! I really like the quilted panel. I know you will figure out how to take care of the wrinkles. Sometimes a break from a project really helps to get a fresh perspective on the sewing issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--I have been told that red, turquoise, peach and black are my colors (one at a time, not all at the same time!)

      I agree, now that I've had almost 48 hours off from it, I feel ready to try again. and it looks better than I remember it, too!

      Delete
  7. I am glad you are no longer pushing yourself to get the dress finished in time for the ASE. I agree with Dharma. Taking a break from it will probably help you resolve the issues.

    Since the quilted panels are probably thicker and heavier than the side panels, probably the weight of them is contributing to the problem at that corner. It seems like they might be pulling the side panels. Maybe you can open most of the side seam, let it relax and tell you where the seam should be. Also, your idea of extending the waistline seam sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving this idea of opening the side seam and seeing where it wants to be!

      Delete
  8. By the way, I love how you matched the line of stitching at the waistline seam line at the quilted front panel. So precise. Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stand corrected. The turquoise is beautiful. I think adding a seam at the waist on the side panels is a great one. As for sewing fantasies, every day I'm convinced that I can sew up a cute top in the morning before work. This has yet to happen obviously. We can dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwah ha ha! I am happy to hear I'm not the only one with unrealistic sewing fantasies.

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.