Saturday, September 17, 2011

NYC Shopping day hosted by Elizabeth and Robin

Today was NYC Shopping Day hosted by Elizabeth from Sewn and Robin from Yarn Crawl. I didn't take many pix of this shopping day, sorry!  But I had fun.

I hopped on the bus this sunny morning and arrived fashionably late.  The two stores on the official itinerary were Elliott Berman and Metro Textiles.

But first I stopped by the garment worker...

The garment worker
He treadles!
The garment worker treadles!
Then I went to Elliott Berman where I didn't buy anything.

Here's the scene inside Metro.  I'm not sure how many people were at Metro; maybe 20?  Kashi had some help today.  And I bought way more fabric than I should have. 

I didn't know Deepika would be there, and it was fun to meet her baby, even if her baby didn't think fabric shopping was fun!  And I enjoyed seeing many PR members again including Andrea and Karen.
Inside Metro Textiles 9/17/11

After Metro we had lunch and then split up. Some of us went to Mood, which was very busy compared to my visit with Antoinette.  Still no sign of Swatch the dog.

Then I parted ways and made my way to Pacific Trimmings:
zippers at Pacific Trimmings
And then I went to SIL thread to buy invisible zippers.  Since I arrived late anyway, I wish I had bought zippers and trims first while I didn't have 20 pounds of fabric to carry.  I could have browsed around more if I didn't have so much fabric.  I did go back to Paron to see if the fabric I am STILL thinking about from June was there; it wasn't.

So I made my way back to the bus station and was in line at 2:15 (Antoinette, the bus arrived and left from a different gate than usual because of construction.  I was certain to pay attention to how to get back to the gate this time!)

Here's my haul in my PR shopping bag while in line at the bus terminal.  I wound up sitting on the ground writing postcards (yes,  I bought NYC postcards!) because the bus arrived with a flat tire.  So the bus didn't get on the road til 3:09.   Some people in line with me were extra crabby about the wait, but I was ok with it.  I'd rather the flat tire be at the terminal than on the turnpike. 
 waiting for the bus....with my bag of fabric!

So here is what $135 looks like:

This is what $135 looks like
Oh, and "Rose in SV" this is for you:
for "Rose in SV"
On the ride home, check out the "numbers" on this clock, and you'll know what town the bus was passing through:
New Brunswick clock
It was a fun day; I'm glad I went; thank you to Elizabeth and Robin for organizing the day!

Princeton Farmer's Market flowers for this week:  millet, coxcomb, sunflowers.
Princeton Farmer's Mkt flowers 9/15/11
I am STILL working on the NL 6000 dress. It currently has a side AND back zipper. But that deserves a whole post of its own.  I'm going to try to finish it off tomorrow.  I have spent SO MUCH time on that dress.  I'm not giving up on it.  The light IS at the end of the tunnel.

Also, note to self, next time don't try to stuff too many items into the freezer because the door will just pop open during the night ruining all the home cooked food you made and froze to be eaten over the week.   Really, self, you should know better.  

Be well, hope you are healthy, good night!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome way to spend the day! Can't wait to see all your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look like a great fabric haul! Sorry about the freezer,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a glorious day! I'm so glad you felt well enough to go, but lugging around pounds of fabric probably wasn't too good for your back. Oh no, sorry you lost some food in the freezer. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the heathered knits--it looks like your trip was a great success! And thank you for capturing the store window --with a readable phone number! Another resource to check out in NYC!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Led a fabric dyeing meetup today, and when the topic of Mood came up, there were lots of oohs and aahs for the few of us who had been there in person. What you northeasterners take for granted! LOL Looks like a productive trip, esp. in the zipper department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in NYC for the shopping day that was cancelled! I did get to do some shopping that I still have to post about. Maybe next time we'll both be there at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so sad I couldn't make it! Thanks for the virtual!
    Awesome fabric-hopefully a consolation for the food loss...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.