Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cookie monster, yum yum yum yum yum

If all you care about is cookie action, scroll to the middle of this post...

Sunset looked more fiery in real life
The sunset looked more fiery in real life...

Ok, I did too much today and my back is letting me know that in a very "I'm warning you..." kind of way. It feels frankly like it did in June when I'd get that "I have to lie down NOW" feeling, but it's not the "I'm in tremendous pain" feeling either.

What triggered this? Hmmmm...let's see what I did today involving my back:
  • Cookie making this morning
  • Unloading and reloading the dishwasher
  • Recycling the newspapers
  • Grocery shopping
  • Putting the yard stuff into the shed, which meant taking some stuff out of the shed and rearranging items in said shed.
  • Bringing fake logs from the shed into the house.
  • More cookie making
  • More unloading and reloading the dishwasher again
So I really can't blame my back for being upset, even though I did have a one hour nap today.

I really wanted to make my red nightgown today, but I just physically can't do it now. If I hadn't had to redo the cookies, I would have had the time and maybe physicality to do so.

Now, for the cookies!!!
So just what happened to the first batch of cookies?
I'm not sure. But they definitely did not taste as good as my usual cookies. Edible? Yes. Acceptable? Yes. In danger of tarnishing my "incredibly yummy cookie" reputation at tomorrow's potluck Thanksgiving buffet at work? Possibly.

Was it because I only used 3/4 cup of nuts instead of a full cup? 1/2 a teaspoon instead of a full teaspoon of vanilla because that was all I had left? Because the sugars and flour and baking soda were leftover from last winter's baking?

So I struggled a bit with the idea of serving sub-par cookies to my coworkers and decided, since I had to go to the grocery store anyway, that I would buy all new sugars, vanilla, nuts, baking soda, and while I was at it, eggs and butter too, just start it all over. I was sure to use a full cup of walnuts, a full teaspoon of vanilla.

You know what the results of the second batch were?

Delicious!!
Cookie success!!!
As for the sub-par cookies, I don't know what to do with them. Seems a shame to throw them out, but I guess that's what I'll do.

Oh! I found these great cookie racks at the supermarket. The grid means no more "cookies sliding through when you're not paying attention" and they are gigantic so they hold at least 24 cookies each. I had been looking for something like this and I'm so glad I found these.

On the Burt's Bees front: found the lip balm, but the carrot creme is no where in sight (not CVS, nor Walgreens, nor Stop and Shop). It's for sale on their web site, but I don't know if it would arrive by Saturday. Their products are also sold at Target, so maybe one night this week I'll mosey on over there and see if they have the remaining goods.

1 comment:

  1. If I were there, I would take the subpar cookies off your hands. They would all go right in my mouth. Always good to listen to our bodies. My legs were really sore after jogging this morning, to my surprise. Tried to stay off them as much as possible today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love hearing from you! Because I've been getting lots of spam comments, I'm changing the settings to moderated comments.